• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylinder #3 misfire on restart

Fsh247

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone else had this problem? I found a TSB for it and it states that I should put a heat shield around Cyl #3 injector because heat from the exhaust manifold is causing vapor lock after the vehicle has been turned off. It happens after driving for quite awhile (especially hot days). I could shut it off and go into a store then 10 minutes later when I try to restart it, it idles rough and occasionally trips P0 303 (cyl 3 Misfire). My symptoms fit perfectly but I'd like to know if anyone did the insulator thing and did it work?

That's a common problem and I think there as a recall where the dealer would install that for you. May want to give them a call an see if you can get it done for free.

Insulating your #3 injector should work considerably well at solving your rough idle condition. I went ahead and insulated all of my injectors on a previous XJ and also insulated the fuel rail just for good measure and it completely eliminated my rough idle condition. Basically just doing anything you can to get the fuel temps down is helpful, but really the single most important thing is to attempt to reduce the temps in the #3 injector itself. Because no matter how cool you can get you fuel flowing into the injector, if it's still allowed to reach high enough temperatures the fuel will still vaporize and cause your rough idle. I would try insulating your #3 injector alone and see where that gets you, then start insulating more of your fuel system if the symptoms return.

The only thing that has actually been reported as doing any good is to put a timed over-ride on the efan so that air continues to cool the manifold/injector area after engine shut-off. If you search a little, you can find suggested timers and wiring diagrams.

Back