• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air bag deployed what needs to be replaced?

beez1989

NAXJA Forum User
96 cherokee air bag blown from lower axle hit
becouse of this what needs to be replaced
besides bag of course. I know on some GMs
you have to replace the SDM and sometimes front
sensors.

Also how does the air bag get released from the
steering wheel?

Thanks for the help!!!!

welcome to the forum!

heres a link that should help you out. the thread's main focus is the clocking spring, but it deals with the airbag. check out the link in the thread too, it has pictures

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=997582&highlight=clocking+spring

hope this helps in the mean time. im sure something will chime in with more detail towards the airbag

note: the thread i linked to deals with the 97+ setup. is it the same for his 96?

I'm not a big fan of airbags in the first place, as they hurt like crap when they go off. If you're wearing your seat belt or not they're still gonna hurt. I'd just replace the steering wheel with a grant wheel and go.

Your airbag is triggered mechanically and specs I've read say it usually takes more than a 20-25 mph impact to do so. Do not be confused by later model bag instructions.

The 96 and 95 airbags are the same and simple to remove and replace. Even though yours has already blown, the process is the same. Remove the small plastic plug from the top outer surface of the steering wheel hub. Using an 8mm socket, turn the arming bolt inside counter clockwise until it extends about an inch above the housing and no further. Now you can remove the four nuts on the backside attaching the module to the steering wheel with a 10mm socket. Remove module.
Reverse this process to install new module. Tighten the four nuts securely (80-100 inch pounds). Now get out of the car and work through the window to re-arm the module. You do not want it to go off in your face accidently. By reaching carefully through the open window, tighten the arming screw clockwise until it stops. Do not overtighten (10-15 inch pounds max which is just slightly snug) Reinstall the plastic plug in the housing.

Back