• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

♣ Spicer 760x Joints

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I did, of course, do a search on the subject. The problem is that there are 4-billion pages of information on it, and most of the threads simply mention something or other about the joints. I can’t find the concrete information I need.

The Question:

I really really really need and want to upgrade my axle joints to the Spicer 760x style. What I do not know, is if they will work with my ’88 style axles, or if I need to do something different. It’s time to beef things up, because I’m tired of my axles lasting two runs. I’m not even hard on them.

Any information you wonderful Jeepers can give me will be truly appreciated. My XJ is a 1988 model with a D30 – standard stuff. I read on another chapter’s forum that they run the 760x joints and abuse 35s all the time with them. THAT, friends and neighbors, is what I need!

Thanks! :sunshine:

I think your jeep has the smaller 260x joint, not the 297/760

What he said. You need to upgrade to newer shafts with the bigger joints, but if you really plan to run 35's hard, that won't be enough. Time for some alloys.

im with Skwerly, lots of jumbled info on the subject. My situation however, is that i have a 2 piece axle and need to modify it to accept the one piece.

I believe you need a seal that is the same in the axle's with one peice shafts. If you care enough about your 4WD light working then you will need to use a kit or modify the current vacuum lines to make it work.

im with Skwerly, lots of jumbled info on the subject. My situation however, is that i have a 2 piece axle and need to modify it to accept the one piece.

Skwerly, I dont know the breakoff point for the 297/760 shafts for the year but you will need to do an axle conversion to a one piece. I have done 3 or 4, I cant remember but I can give you a hand.

Removing the Vac lines and all the disco stuff is cake, just need a seal but the prob is you have to measure first.

Most all I have done took seal CR11800 but one did not work with that part.

Hope this helps.

Leep

Skwerly, I dont know the breakoff point for the 297/760 shafts for the year but you will need to do an axle conversion to a one piece. I have done 3 or 4, I cant remember but I can give you a hand.

Removing the Vac lines and all the disco stuff is cake, just need a seal but the prob is you have to measure first.

Most all I have done took seal CR11800 but one did not work with that part.

Hope this helps.

Leep

so you have done the 2-1 piece conversion? Maybe i should drop my axle off at Timmy's and have you modify it. assuming you want to and have time.

Well that dana 44 has the same exact ujoints as the late models ~ 5-760x..

DOnt let everyone scare ya.

it is done everyday and buy more jeeps then not. 35" tires and a quality shaft is fine for 760x ujoints. IF YOU CARE for them. You just need to test for slop/wear every 2 trips or everytrip if you really push it. once you feel any, replace em. at less the 20$ a pop its easy and cheap. myself as many friends have ran very diff trails on 35's or 37's and never had a issue. but we dont just wheel with em, without checking for wear regularly.

you could have bigger ones stock. if you have ABS, you have bigger u-joints. and if you have the 242 t-case, its a non-disco axle. so in theory, an older XJ with ABS and a 242 has the same D30 as newer XJ's. let us know if you have ABS or not.

There was a D30 in one of the SWB jeeps that had the 297 joints. I can't remember the specifics. I did that swap 10 or 12 years ago. Don't let anybody tell you that the disco shaft is weaker than the one piece. In all my years of wheeling I never saw a disco break. It seems it is always the short side shaft.

ok since no ABS, you have the smaller joints. to upgrade you will need shafts that accommodate the bigger u-joints. like a JY trip to get shafts from a 92+ xj

That's not quite true..... It's at least 95 before all XJ front D30s got the 297x u-joints, my 94 (no ABS) originally had 260x u-joints.

There was a D30 in one of the SWB jeeps that had the 297 joints. I can't remember the specifics. I did that swap 10 or 12 years ago. Don't let anybody tell you that the disco shaft is weaker than the one piece. In all my years of wheeling I never saw a disco break. It seems it is always the short side shaft.

is there a way to get the bigger u-joints with the 2 piece???

Back