• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Issues?

tangoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I jost bought another "heep" after a 2 year vacation from the brand and over all Im very pleased with my purchase. I started to notice that when I take off from a stop theres "chatter" if you will, and on top of that its being a bit difficult to get into gear. I was actually just at the parts store, and when I was going to leave I couldnt even get it into reverse. The gentleman that I bought the rig from mentioned that he had just replaced the master...but now could the clutch use a replacement?

1995 XJ, 2 door, 5 speed, with rolling rubber of 32x11.50 MTR's

Was the system bled properly?
I beleive the clutch of choice for msot here is the Luk HD clutch?

That is a good question...Im not to sure on the answer actually. Are there any tell-tell signs if it were'nt bled properly (other than responding like a clutch that needs replaced?)

u answered ur own question

He did? How so?
Can you translate that into non-retard English? Perhaps I misunderstood that (sort of) sentence?

Sounds to me like the slave cylinder is going out.
Does the clutch pedal feel soft and spongy? How many miles on the clutch/slave? I've found that slave cylinders(especially if it's the internal type) generally last about 110,000-130,000 miles before they're worn out.

After researching through my binder of information the gentleman gave me with the Jeep it turns out the slave cylinder was actually replace around 300 miles ago. The clutch actually isn't spongy at all, it starts to "activate" (move the Jeep) a very small distance from the floor? Could there be a connection between the slave being recently replaced, and the recent hic-ups I've been experiencing?

After researching through my binder of information the gentleman gave me with the Jeep it turns out the slave cylinder was actually replace around 300 miles ago. The clutch actually isn't spongy at all, it starts to "activate" (move the Jeep) a very small distance from the floor? Could there be a connection between the slave being recently replaced, and the recent hic-ups I've been experiencing?

I would start by bleeding the system again and see if that fixes your issues.

This morning I replaced my clutch plate, pressure plate, and slave.
I bought the stock replacement, which as it turns out seems better and cheaper than the Luk that everyone loves. The one I pulled from the heep was a Luk and died after less than 15k miles (I've only had the rig for 5k). Granted, mud will kill them faster, but still. When I pulled it I noticed that it only had single-coil springs. The stock replacement kit I bought had double coil springs, and came with the pressure plate, slave, alignment tool, and a new flywheel bearing that I didn't use. Ran me $190

Bleeding the clutch shouldn't be too hard. Mine's a 93 and has an internal slave, I think your 95 does too but I'm not sure. The slave has two hydraulic hard lines coming out of it, if its internal they come out on the top driver side of the tranny. One is connected to the hose that goes to the master cylinder, the other isn't connected to anything. That's your bleeder valve. Just do with the clutch what you'd do with your brakes.

95 is an external slave, and should be self-bleeding. Usually, those are bought as a complete set, lines assembled, and filled with fluid.

It does sound like your clutch is shot, though. I'd just go with a stock, or mild Luk upgrade.

I got mine from Checker Auto... their parent company is O'Rielly Auto parts or CSK, and they own different chains in different regions. I'd recommend theirs. Other people have had good luck with Napa's, but knowing Napa it probably costs twice as much there.

I wouldn't replace the clutch yet. The fact that it is hard to get into gear indicates that the clutch is not fully releasing. Check the clutch master cyl fluid level to make sure it is full enough. If it is low, look for leaks at the master, connector lines, and coming from the bell housing from the slave cyl. If that all checks out, bleed the system. Once this is straightened out, you can see if the chatter is bad enough to go after the clutch itself. You have more than one problem, but not being able to get it into gear easily is not likely the clutch itself unless it is starting to come apart (unlikely).

Really? I appreciate the help, thankfully tomorrow I have the late shift and should have some time when the auto shop is actually open to try and trace down my problems (atleast a few of them) Thanks ya'll

Back