• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31's on Budget Boost?

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
Ive already searched all over and came up with nothing but Im looking into lifting my jeep down the road with a 3-4" kit but do not have the money just yet. However, I need new tires to pass inspection and I'm looking at some 31x10.50R15 BFG A/T's but I dont have enough money to buy both the tires and the lift. So as a temporary solution, is it possible to run 31's on say a 1.75" coil spacer/shackle or add-a-leaf combo on mostly street? I already have some rubbing with 235's and I know it'd get worse but I'm thinking of the WJ lower control arm mod. But all in all, how bad would it be to have 31's on a 2" BB? Any pics would be appreciated as well.

I started my XJ on 31's with no lift, just some fender trimming. Not a lot of rubbing with the aftermarket rims with a backspacing of 3.75. Then I put on a 2 inch coil/shackle lift and properly bumpstopped and had absolutely no problems. I couldn't stay with that set up long with my condition of inchitist so now I'm at 4.5 inches and 33's.

I've got 3" of lift plus 1-1/2" shackle extensions in rear. Just went to 33" and donated my 31x10.50's to my son. He running a budget boost of about 1-1/2" to 2" (coil spacers in front and shackle extensions in rear). On stock wheels he had minor rubbing at full lock, but now with new wheels (different back-spacing), no rubbing at all.

BRADFORDXJ said:
I am currently running a BB with spacer in front and shackle in rear.. it is not bad like the guy above stated just minor rubbing on the lca's as full lock. I am going to be selling the rusty's bb in like a week pm if you are interested

I might be interested in the BB if he's not - PM coming.

Chris S said:
depends a lot on the year. I think it's 90 and older that have the largest space inside the fender, then 91-95, and 97+ are the smallest.
Its a 98. I went to a local jeep shop today and we measured it. We think it may hit because of the goofy plastic corner things, and fender flares in front. But either way, Im prolly going to be on the road a lot of the time till I can afford a real lift.

I have a 90 with a coil spacer and short add-a-leaf, and 31" Interco TrXus M/Ts. My front tires rub on the control arms at full lock, and all four tires rub the inner fenders a bit, but it's not really a problem. With trimmed fenders, the tires tuck up nicely:

498IMG_6808-med.jpg

2" is plenty of lift for 31s.

Back