• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end chirp?

MYXJ22

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but couldnt find anything to do with rear end chirping.

This has been going on for a while now. I first thought it was under the hood, so I replaced the idler pulley and no fix. The belt was still pretty new (around a year) and there was no damage to it.

The chirping only comes when I'm driving at about fifteen miles per hour. Its loud and sounds like metal on metal. I jacked it up and got the wheels spinning. A friend says it was definetely coming from the back of the jeep. It goes away sometimes when the jeep warms up and does it more when the weather is colder outside. Sometimes reving the engine makes it go away for a second, sometimes it doesnt help but it always stops when I come to a stop. Any ideas?

I haven't done anything new to the rear end in a year when I put in the 8.8. A u-joint is what I'm think or hoping is the problem. I'm almost positive the fluid is full, but I'm going to check for metal in the fluid tomorrow just to be safe.

Anyone know where I can get the flange adapter on the 8.8 output to use the stock jeep u-joints with? I remember I had to find a special joint when I did the swap.

Check the cardan ball on the front DS. It can chirp big time. ONLY way to lube is a needle and inject grease under the rubber.

Ok, just took off the front driveshaft and drove it around. Still chirping. I'm thinking its the rear u-joint that connects to the flange. I didnt buy the flange adapter when I swapped axles. Instead I used the Explorer one and matched it with some odd ball u-joint that fit the driveshaft and the explorer flange. Anyone know the part number for the correct flange. I dont know if I have 1310 or 1330 joints though?

Back