• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering problem

1994 Jeep cherokee sport 4dr 4.0L HO

I will start off by saying the power steering pressure hose was replaced in december.

If I leave my jeep for more than appr. 36 hours with the wheel turned to either side, when I get back in the jeep, I wont have power steering for about half a mile. When the power steering finally kicks back in, it makes a loud thump sound. It also leaks like crazy while it sits with the wheel turned. it usually empties half the tank in a few hours. I haven't been able to find the leak; it's well hidden. My jeep sat for 4 days with the wheel fully turned against the curb, and when I got back home from H20 the Jeep didn't have power steering for 2 days if I remember correctly. I'm not sure what the problem is, and since I live on an 16% grade hill, I'd like to be able to tuck my tire into the curb just incase anything happens.:wstupid:

I went through similar, did you bleed the system? Mine leaked like a sieve for weeks until I bled it. The air gets trapped in the steering box, and ties up space, when you fire it up, the fluid gets moved around, heats up and spills out the vent top of cap, and possibly a hose. I finally broke down and bought new pump, hoses (both!) and STERILIZED the entire area

I went through similar, did you bleed the system? Mine leaked like a sieve for weeks until I bled it. The air gets trapped in the steering box, and ties up space, when you fire it up, the fluid gets moved around, heats up and spills out the vent top of cap, and possibly a hose. I finally broke down and bought new pump, hoses (both!) and STERILIZED the entire area

The system was bled. I only lose power steering if i park the Jeep with the wheel turned. Other than that I have absolutely no problems with steering.

Back