• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can Bushwackers weaken the rear of the XJ?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a brand new set of Bushwacker fender flares sitting in my garage for almost 2 years and I can't make the step to put all those holes in the body. It's like getting a tatoo, ya know? A local XJer told me that his XJ has started to sag in the back because he weakened it by cutting for the fender flares.

Granted, his is a 1993 XJ and it has been driven about as hard offroad as any XJ I know of, but is this a potential problem with the rear fenders that I should be concerned about? My XJ sees a lot of off road time on the rocks with a lot of twisting action going on. I just figured that as long as I didn't cut too far into the rear that this had no effect on the strength of the rear. Let me hear your thoughts.

I have had a brand new set of Bushwacker fender flares sitting in my garage for almost 2 years and I can't make the step to put all those holes in the body. It's like getting a tatoo, ya know? A local XJer told me that his XJ has started to sag in the back because he weakened it by cutting for the fender flares.

Granted, his is a 1993 XJ and it has been driven about as hard offroad as any XJ I know of, but is this a potential problem with the rear fenders that I should be concerned about? My XJ sees a lot of off road time on the rocks with a lot of twisting action going on. I just figured that as long as I didn't cut too far into the rear that this had no effect on the strength of the rear. Let me hear your thoughts.

thats a first... sagging due to cutting... maybe if cut off all of the pinch seam. as long as you cut properly leaving the pinch seam intact it wont sag due to that. and the bushwackers themselves will have a neglegible impact.

Anybody have an estimate of how many inches you can cut and fold before cutting in to the pinch seam? I'm really just too lazy to go and look.

Back