• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio not turning on???

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I hooked up a power inverter to my cig lighter in order to power a small TV. This is something I have done many times before...I then hook the TV audio cable up to my radio and use my trucks speakers for sound....but when I went to turn the TV on it tripped the circuit breaker on the power inverter. Like the brilliant guy I am I tried to turn the inverter off then back on so I can try it again, same thing happened. So after I did this again it finally took out all power going to my radio and cig. lighter! I checked the fuse on the back of my radio and it's fine, I also checked the fuse's in the panel and they were all fine too! Is there something I'm missing??? :helpme: This normally wouldnt be an issue but riding in my truck all day with no stereo is driving me mad!!!

Check all fuses, sometimes even though the radio fuse is good to go another blown fuse somewhere elses can cause it not to work. Hope you didnt fry anything!!

What year is your Cherokee? Do your dome lights and/or power door locks work (if you have them)? Was the ignition off when all this happened?

On my 92, there are a couple of fuses that could cause this. You said you checked all of your fuses in "the panel"...are you talking about the panel under the DS dash or the one under the hood? The one under the dash has a fuse which protects the ignition-off accesories like the radio, door locks and cig lighter. Under the hood there is a I.O.D. (ignition off draw) fuse or breaker that ALL ignition-off accesories have their power routed through.

From what you describe there is an almost 100% chance that its a blown fuse. Are you checking them visually, or actually checking for continuity? Sometimes it's a little hard to tell visually if those little blade fuses are blown or not; I would suggest checking them with an ohm-meter or test light.

If you can check a few of these things and get us a little more information we can help you more.

-Rob

I have a 94' no power locks, but my interior dome light does turn on. Yes the truck was not on when this happened. I'll check the fuse under the hood, thanks, I'll get back to you.

okay so I took a few days rest from the problem and I checked the fuse box near the kick panel. And there the bastard was:gonnablow! I replaced the burnt fuse and it works. How it dodged my first war path I have no idea :dunno: , but I fixed it thanks everyone!

Back