• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size

NOOBGUY88

NAXJA Forum User
DOes anyone have a recomendation on what tire size is best to run in a stock xj with no lift.... I would like to run 30s but I cant seem to find the right tire size to fit...:bs:

235's came stock on mine, not sure what you're running...I believe 30s will fit with no rub or minimal rub, and you can fit 31s but they will rub alot. Are you planning to trim your fenders?

235's are not stock on an XJ, maybe came that way from a PO. But not stock. pre96 was either 215 or 225s and 97+ I believe are 225 standard. Depending on what you are doing with the vehicle, 30's should fit ok. 235's are approx 29.5" tall

I dont remember off the top of my head whats I have under it... I believe mine were 235s But yea Im gonna trim the fenders here soon.... I just recently started to work on it....I just removed the sway bars and Im looking for a tire that wont rub that much when I go off road...

I would say stick w/ 30's if your gonna mildy trim and dont want it to rub. If ya go 31's, it will rub somewhere.

ditch the rear sway bar and get some good quality discos, but I am not sure about what companies make them for 0" of lift. I dont run any discos, but mine is a trail only rig. I have ran the JKS units on another rig and liked them fine.

if you're planning any future mods, I'd save the $$$ on disconnects and take the extra two minutes per side and just remove the stock ones when you hit the trails. With a gear wrench and new links, it's not much slower than pulling a pin and bungy cording the discos out of the way.

Get everything where you want it and then buy discos to match your final height.

Just for what it is worth--tire diameter is not very consistent between manufacturers, i.e., one manufacturers 235 or 30 or 31 may be an inch or more different from another manufacturers same diameter tire. The extreme differences come with the larger size tires. Even the same manufacturer's different models of tires, in the same size, may differ substantially.

The owners manual states 215 & 225's. However, the great majority of XJ's I've looked at have 235/75 R15, including my own. It's my understanding that anything larger than that (30's) will probably cause some rubbing.

If I understand the measurements correctly, that means the tire is 235mm wide, and the sidewall height is 75% of that number (which turns out to be 176.25mm)

Then, if you multiply 176.25 x two sidewalls you get approximately 35.25 centimeters, or 13.88 inches. Add in the height of a 15" rim, and you get a tire that is just under 28.9 inches tall.

Is my understanding here correct?

I had stock 30's on my XJ for about 4 months prior to the 3in lift. I never flexed it but they tuck in perfect with no rub on the 3in lift so I can imagine they would rub the crap out of the fenders with no lift. I really liked the look of 30's stock though so have fun with it.

DSC03049.jpg

Here ya go: 30x9.50 BFG with sway bars connected. Does not rub. By the way, the tires actually measure about 29.25" (that's installed on the stock rim)
You shouldn't need to trim.

whitetruck.jpg

If you take the sway bars off and it rubs because of the extra flex, just put them back on until you can put together a 2' budget lift

THis is a pic of just about full flex with a 3in lift and 30's. The above pic must not have been flexed to well.

winterfest09009.jpg

As you can see the 30's are just about rubbing with a 3in lift so if it was Stock they would be all over it. Fenders perhaps not but the wheel well would be thrashed.

"The above pic" has one rear tire off the ground :D
I did say the sway bars were still connected!

Bringing this back from a couple months ago. When people reapond to these threads, they comment about lift, trimming, and backspacing. Can someone elaborate more on backspacing for us noobs? (stock vs the soft 8s that everyone seems to run)

and is it possible to use spacers with the stock wheels to run, say, 30s without trimming? Or does that not help at all.

Edit, I also found this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=999058&highlight=stock+backspacing

Last edited:
Back spacing is the measurement from the back side of the wheel where the lugs go to the outter surface of the rim. I have measured it before by laying the wheel face down on the ground and then putting a straight edge (or a level, just something flat and straight) across it and then use a tape measure to measure from the back of the hub/lug area on the wheel to the bottom of the straight edge that is laying across the wheel. NOTE: do this on the rim/wheel, do not measure to the tire, it will skew your measurements. When a person is trying to figure out the backspacing for their new wheels the common denominations are in 1/4 inches, i.e. 3.5, 3.75 etc. The lower the number the more offset the rim will have. That means the lower number will have the wheel stick further out towards the outside of the vehicle, thus giving it a wider wheel/tire stance.

Running spacers will stick the rims/tires out further, but woule possibly cause you to need to trim more, not less. There is a bit of debate on wheel spacers. Some say they are great while others say they are too hard on the hubs/unit bearings. I personally run the Spidertrax 1.25 spacers and get along great with them.

Hope this helps.

Cheeseman-OUT!

Back