• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck LCA bolts (michigan XJ)

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ from the Mitten State. 3.5" RE lift with new leaves (at the shop for the leaves right now) as those bolts were just as stuck as the LCAs.

So, how do I go about removing them? I tried heating and quenching with PB blaster, and I tried 'stacking' cheater bars, and everything under the sun, to no avail. Is there a easy (bolt destructive is ok) way to get these damn things out so I can get the RE ones in?
Thanks,
Matt

Just use a sawzall to cut the bolts, on each side of the LCA, and buy some new ones. Don't forget to apply ungodly amounts of anti-seize compound once you install the new bolts, so it make it easy to remove them next time.

Call the guys at the shop to add some anti-seize compound to the leaf bolts as well, while it's in the shop....

I recently had to remove my rear leaves that I installed about 6 years ago. The bolts loosened up real easily with the anti-seize compound.....

Other than just chopping the bolts in half, I'd say maybe a strong impact driver...

Best solution is to just chop em and replace. Make absolutely sure you have the right bolts before doing it though, I just discovered I have the wrong U-bolts for my rear axle and would have found myself without transportation had I not checked.

How many heat cycles did you do? I did ~5 and they eventually came out with a 3' breaker bar

I've sawzalled them. it sucks. The bolts are case hardened and eat sawzall blade teeth.

but, it didn't damage the LCA pockets and new bolts went in no sweat, so it's probably the best option.

good luck, I hate bolts seized in rubber bushings.

Repeated torch/quench cycles with PB Blaster (6 to 10, don't remember) followed by a high-powered impact wrench took care of my leaf spring bolts (my XJ had spent a couple years of its life in NY). Since they're LCA bolts in your case (3 years ago now I see...), cutting them is a fine option, as is shearing them.

OP is from 09... but having dealt with a few more sets of seized LCA and leaf bolts (leaf bolts in MJs, I'm never replacing leafs in an XJ again) the best way is to take the nut off, heat the crap out of the bolt, then use the biggest, most solid drift punch you have and the biggest hammer and give it a couple love taps.

Pretty funny scrolling back and seeing one of my own posts from before I had more than one jeep and right after I found out what the difference between a d35 and a chrysler 8.25 was :dunce:

Back