• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Show pic of your stock rear tow hook

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have never actually seen a stock rear tow hook on an XJ. If you have one installed, I'd like to see it.

I have one in a box that came with my newest XJ. Anybody want it?

XJ's never came with stock rear tow hooks and very few it seems have factory fronts. Instead of a tow hook on the back get one of the slide in pieces for the 2" hitch that has a D ring on it.

XJ's had a stock rear tow hook. It was deleted or removed to install a receiver tow hitch. Just like the front, the hook points to the ground so they are practically useless because the strap falls off every time your release tension on the strap.

It was the first stock part to get trashed after I brought my 2000 XJ home.

standard.jpg

i have one, ive only seen 1 in the junkyard, and grabbed it.
...ive spent my time in the junkyard too..

i wouldnt use it for anything but a tie-down/EMERGENCY pull.

Well holy crap they do exist, never seen one myself always just the hitch. Don't look like they'd be to strong for good recovery use I'd rather have a hitch with shackle back there. From that pic looks like the tow hook bracket would just double over if stress was put on it.

Thanks, guys. The illustration Tim_MN posted is enough to tell me the hook that came with my new Cherokee (in a box) came from a TJ and not an XJ.

XJ's had a stock rear tow hook. It was deleted or removed to install a receiver tow hitch. Just like the front, the hook points to the ground so they are practically useless because the strap falls off every time your release tension on the strap.

It was the first stock part to get trashed after I brought my 2000 XJ home.

Once again, you provide great info. One quick question. Was this remove/deleted on XJ's with the gas tank skid? My 98 has the skid package, and I don't remember seeing any hooks.

I should have been more clear in my other posting. XJ's had the option of a factory rear tow hook. Most XJ's have neither tow hooks nor skid plates.

A far as I know, tow hooks were optional and skid plates were optional, it may be possible to have one option and not the other. If you optioned the factory tow package or the dealership or a previous owner installed a receiver hitch, the rear tow hook was either deleted or removed and discarded.

The UpCountry package included both skid plates and 2 front tow hooks and 1 rear tow hook as part of the package.

Last edited:
i had that rear hook on my '96 from the factory, only took it off because i put on a hitch. i pulled on it HARD several times without so much as a squeek out of it. i would certainly prefer a hitch, but that mounting bracket is MUCH more stout than that illustration would lead you to believe. tied into the nutstrip/body/subframe, it's not going anywhere. although without a spring clip on the hook, getting the strap to stay on while slack is a b*tch. until i got the clip, i used a zip tie to hold the loop until there was tension.

Back