• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ owner (pictures) with a couple of questions.

mtmc85

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't see a new member section but I was curious about replacing my rocker so I figured I would introduce myself at the same time.

My name is Matt and I'm from Kentucky. I bought my first XJ last week for $750. I sold some stuff so I really only have about $400 in it. Anyway, it's a '95 Cherokee Sport 4.0 4x4 automatic. It has 252,000 miles and runs/drives like a top. Only problems so far is the passenger side rocker is rusted out, the driver side has started to, and there is a small rusted through hole in the driverside floorboard.

It's kind of hard to tell from the picture but when I buy a replacement rocker, how much will it replace? Mine has rusted completely out but the backing plate is okay. It's rusted up to the bottom of the back door. Will the replacement cover all of this area?

Thanks guys.

S5001461.jpg

S5001467.jpg

S5001468.jpg

S5001462.jpg

S5001463.jpg

S5001464.jpg

S5001465.jpg

S5001466.jpg

S5001469.jpg

S5001470.jpg

S5001474.jpg

S5001476.jpg

S5001478.jpg

S5001479.jpg

Welcome aboard. Looks like a nice find, all in all.

You can get replacement rocker skins that will look factory, I think they run up from the pinch seam underneath to the door sills, so they might replace the rust you have.

I'm not sure, though, because I went a different way - when mine rotted out, I had them cut the rest of the way out and 2x6x1/4 rectangular tube welded in to replace them. The tube replaces the horizontal plane of the old rockers that the rubber wipes on the bottom of the doors sweep, so it's not exactly like OEM-style panels.

The upside is that it's much stronger, tightens up the vehicle's handling, and looks great (in my opinion). The downside is that you either have to do it yourself, have a friend do it, or find a shop that's willing (not all commercial shops are, since it's technically a Unibody modification). I got lucky - a friend through NAXJA did it for me, and did a stellar job.

This appears to be the best shot of it I have online at the moment:

IMAG0007.jpg

As to the floor, don't wait too long on fixing that, because it'll spread like mad as long as there's a route for water to get into that pad under the rug. Check under the passenger front seat too - right over the cat. is especially vulnerable too.

Rob

Shop carefully for your repair parts. Some of them are very thin sheet metal and are poorly shaped and formed.

I bought my rusty floor pan replacements from http://raybuck.com/c-54807-1984-2001-cherokee-xj.html and they fit perfectly and the sheet metal was thicker than the original factory parts. IDK about the rocker panels, but based on the floor pans, I would buy Raybuck rocker panels.

Back