• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mpgs

SAMSET

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
anyone know the mpgs on these xjs?
i have been driving a durango for years and feel like this lil guy is getting the same mpg as my 10mpg dodge. really? so for info i god a 95 xj 4.0 4x4.

I get 19.1mpg on mine right now (96 XJ 4.0 4x4, in rwd), driving average 80mph on the highway plus normal city. I was getting 16.5-16.7 before I replaced my air filter, exhaust pipe and muffler, spark plugs, cables, distributor cap and rotor, and used Seafoam to clean my cylinders/intake/valves.

EDIT: I track this very carefully as my gas gauge doesn't work, so I carry a jerry can and use my trip meter to figure out what my mileage is for each tank when I run it dry. Keeps me from getting stranded.

All hwy I usually get 22ish. Mixed usually around 16-18 depending on traffic and where exactly I am driving.

Mine is bad too. I get about 13-14MPG in the city.

I think with the way the tranny is and drive line etc. its easy to see big differenaces just on how you drive the gas pedal. Some people go the same distance but dont tolerate sittuations the same as another drive.

And i think the differences you see in that alone will be big because of the overdrive etc. at least thats what i seem to notice.

I drive one day one way and get ok milage, and i drive another day another way and it sucks gas like a bitch.

yea, theres a lot of ways to improve your driving style to get better mpgs, they had a thing on trucks a few weeks ago about it. i usually drive pretty agressively, other wise id prolly see closer to 19 i think. is it true with a lift that you lose around 1mpg for every inch just on aero dynamics or is it more becuase of bigger tires? im going up to 31s on 3.5"-4" of lift so im hoping i dont dip below 15 and hope i can stay above 18 hwy.

my 98 XJ limited 2wd gets almost 18 on average based on my numbers compared to the overhead console computer numbers. I would say I'm getting around 16 in town and around 21-22 on the freeway. On long trips on level ground at 65mph the computer says its getting 26mpg.

1998 4.0L 4x4 5 spd 5.5 lift 4.56 gears...

During a 3200 mile trip last year.... driving 80 mph...; my gas mileage varied from 13-15 mpg....
Adding the unsprung weight of 32's, more than 400lbs of steel along with the cargo area full of luggage and parts doesnt help...
The best mileage my Jeep ever received was 23-24 mpg on a trip to the Grand Canyon when it was stock and 1 year old....

dang well coming out of a caddy that was getting around 28 29 on the highway i best not mention to the gf the miles im pulling with this

I've heard people say that the cracked exhaust manifold kills the mileage is that because of the leak or because it messes with the O2 sensor?

Back