• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac Bar

JoeyClements

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ with a 4 inch lift. The coil spring rubs the trac bar bracket on the driver's side. It looks like a stock bracket but I am new to this. The bracket seems to have been made with a little out type of buble for lack of a better term. I ordered a RE trac bracket but the end of the trac bar of the original has a eye stud mount. I think the term is heim on the new style. I do not really want to buy a new bar but just want to change out the end of the bar to a bolt through that will work with the new bracket.

Anyone help on this topic?
Swapping the track bar end on the driver's bracket side?
What?
Thanks.
Joey
[email protected]

It sounds like you have the stock trackbar in there. With 4 inches of lift, you should have an adjustable trackbar for alignment purposes to center the axle under the vehicle. There is no way to change the end of the stock trackbar, unless you cut it off and then weld on a new end, but I would not recommend this.

If you ordered the RE bracket, you will have no choice but to purchase the corresponding RE trackbar that goes with it. RE has 2 trackbars, both have rubber on one side, but one has a heim joint on one end, which is meant to be used with the stock bracket. The other is the HD trackbar, with a superflex joint on one end that is the bar that is to be used with that bracket.

Thanks man that makes sense. I guess it is the stock bracket and bar but it seems centered. I guess if I want to play, I better go with the HD trackbar!
Thanks again for the help. I am coming along.

You can modify a stock tracbar for a double sheer mount that works well with the RE tracbars. I used a piece of 2X4 3/16' tube and cut the stock tracbar mount to mount the rod end in double sheer in the 2X4 at the same location as stock mounting. You will need equipment to cut and weld.

I see that RE has a 3/4 end for the tracbar. Any reason I can't unscrew the ball end I have now and put that in and it work?
It wont work!

You can modify a stock tracbar for a double sheer mount that works well with the RE tracbars. I used a piece of 2X4 3/16' tube and cut the stock tracbar mount to mount the rod end in double sheer in the 2X4 at the same location as stock mounting. You will need equipment to cut and weld.
Got pics!!! Cant mount a tre in DOUBLE SHEAR!:doh:

Last edited:
Here is my situation now.
I am too dumb to tell what is stock and not.

Sorry I need to read how to post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41657668@N02/3841076469/http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1332598932.html

yup that is stock bracket but the track bar looks like it is an adjustable by seeing the larger nut by the tie rod end

So do you think I can change the screw end out with the RE 3/4 and it work?
40 bucks v 200 bucks?
Thanks again dudes for the help as I hated to get one that had been modified but it was a steal. I would have rather done the mods myself so I would know but ........
Also I made a post about what other year models should I look at for scrap? I want to grab 1 or 2 for backup parts and am not sure what years will work with what.

Back