• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrecked my XJ... Whats Your Opinion?

lacherokee96

NAXJA Forum User
I recently wrecked the front end of my 96' 2WD 4.0 XJ. The damage is as follows:

Grill
Bumper
Radiator
Steering Box
Airbag blew
possibly more

I didnt have time to fix it when it happened, so I got a new car and cant afford both. New car is too reliable compared to the XJ, so I've pretty much got to get rid of the XJ.Just wanted to see what guys think: Fix her up and sell? Part out? Sell as is? etc...

What do you think?

If the frame/sheetmetal are all tweaked up, I'd say part out or sell as is. If they aren't... maybe fix up and sell?

Thats kind of the main reason I dont want to fix it up... I'd hate to do all the work and the body could be bent. It really doesnt look too bad though, it doesnt seem like it is bent. So far I've spoken to 1 guy who's interested and he says he would pay $500 as is. I feel like I could definitely get more for it as the engine is still in perfect working condition (starts up no trouble.. just cant run for more than a few minutes because of the radiator)

Sell it as is. It doesn't take much front end damage to seriously affect the uniframe. If it reached your steering box and punched in your radiator you could be looking at frame straightening and unknown engine damage. Sure, you could spend a grand fixing things up plus your time to do it, but you would probably not recoup your investment. $500 is a fair price for something undriveable, parting it out would net you more than that if the engine is fine, the rear axle is an 8.25, tires good, doors and hatchback fine but it would be messy and time consuming. It's your call. Just be realistic when you look at your options.

Strip it down and sell it for parts yourself--you will get WAY more than $500 cheesy bucks for it.

Like was said earlier, if the box got whacked, you're probably looking at uni-rail bending. If you have the room,and don't inconvenience the rest of your family or neighbors, parting it would net you the best return. Have you had anyone look at it to see if there's rail damage. or if it's strictly cosmetic? I rear-ended a Bronco II in my '92, but I ended up diving under his rear bumper, as my front was diving under braking. A real mess, but thankfully the damage was above the rails. I threw it in the garage, and have been working little by little on it for two years. Have it looked at and make a decision that will work for you.

As someone whose family is in the wrecked car/salvage/parts business, you'll definitely make the most money in the long run by parting it out. The downside is that this will also take longer, possibly much longer and you'll end up with a stripped shell and parts everywhere.

If you live in a location that doesn't allow non-running vehicles/hulls in your yard, this could be an insurmountable problem.

EDIT TO ADD: Given the damage you've described, DO NOT fix it up to sell it. This will easily be the most expensive way and it's highly unlikely you'll recover your parts cost, much less the time.

i paid $800 for my excellant condition, california raised, 4.0 4x4, in los angeles (good economy), i doubt you'll get $1k for a smashed in 2wd... in louisiana (bad economy, right?)

and if its a stocker, what are you gonna sell? motor, interior parts?
you could make more money working part time at IHOP. and theres no junker sittin in your yard...

Last edited:
i just spent $875 for this, and it's a 4x4 too. take the $500 and run!

238r6c.jpg

Back