• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tcase drop on 6" 98

Throttle

NAXJA Forum User
I'm still gettin vibes out of my driveline yet all my angles seem to be good along with my shafts are solid... Would a t-case drop of 1" be something to consider here?
Oh yeah I forgot to mention I do have an SYE in the rear along with RC drop brackets and adjustable lower control arms

No, the t-case drop is only a bandaid for those who do not have an SYE. It won't do anything if you have an SYE.

Are you sure all bearings are good in t-case, pinion, etc.? U-joints are all good, slip joint as well? Have you had the shaft balanced?

I just had the tcase opened up and put back together not too long ago (shift fork blew up on me), and the bearings seemed awesome. How do I check if the axle pinion bearing is good?
Shaft is good, I've had it balanced, then swapped out for another one, all ujoints are good too.
I got adjustable LCAs and played around with the pinion angle, its slightly lower pointing to the tcase as I've heard you want it that way due to when you load it up it will twist the axle to point to the tcase. In any case I've tried lower, and higher and it didn't seem to make a difference.

How hard is it to change the pinion bearings in the axle? Do I have to get the gears set up again after replacing them?

I got adjustable LCAs and played around with the pinion angle, its slightly lower pointing to the tcase as I've heard you want it that way due to when you load it up it will twist the axle to point to the tcase. In any case I've tried lower, and higher and it didn't seem to make a difference.

He was talking about the rear pinion. If the rear pinion is not pointing almost directly at the t-case output, just slightly below it, then you will have vibes.

As Canman said, do you have any shims between the leaf springs and axle perches?

What type of sye do you have?

I found on mine that the driveshaft is slightly too short and the splined section of the shaft is not engaged far enough in the other part of the shaft. This allows too much radial play in the splined joint and causes vibrations.

Back