• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone recommend a compact CB radio?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of putting a CB radio into my jeep. Can anyone recommend a good quality unit that is nice and relatively compact as possible? I would like to spend in the ball park of $200 for the whole set up, but I'm willing to spend more if it would be worth while.

What's the major differences between the brands and the radios? How far can the average antenna send and receive transmissions?

This will be my first radio so I'm new to this department. Are there any good forums?

When I go wheeling in a group we usually bring Motorola radios. They have a bunch of codes and channels. Would there be a way for me to receive these transmissions on the CB radio if set properly?

I searched and 99% of the threads were "where should I mount my cb?"

Friend of mine mmounted a Cobra 75 in the ashtray of her '99...the controls are all in the removable handset so you can hide the CB when not in use.

Yeah, a cobra 75 is a good set. I run it and don't have any issues. I put the box in the center, with the attachment mounted in the fuzzy stuff the e-brake handle sits in. Check out my pictures in my sig and I've got some decent shots of the mount.

I have used a Cobra 75 for several years with good results.
I like being able to take it out, when not needed, and to use it in my other vehicles.
When we go to the desert, I plug it into my motorhome and then transfer it to the Cherokee once we are ready to wheel.

What's the major differences between the brands and the radios?

As far as im concerned, the best radios on the maret in the US right now are Galaxy and Uniden. The more you spend will not give you a radio that will talk further, per se, but a radio with more features.

How far can the average antenna send and receive transmissions?

This really depends on the antenna and the atmospheric conditions. I have talked all over the world with a stock CB, and a good beam antenna. You should have no problem hitting 10 miles with a properly set up radio under most conditions. What kind of antenna are you looking at? For performance I would recommend a Predator 10K, but That would not do too well in the trail. I also like the Wilson 1000/2000/5000, all are good antennas. Remember, a cheap radio with a good antenna will outperform a good radio with a cheap antenna any day.

This will be my first radio so I'm new to this department. Are there any good forums?

Yes www.cbradioforum.com

When I go wheeling in a group we usually bring Motorola radios. They have a bunch of codes and channels. Would there be a way for me to receive these transmissions on the CB radio if set properly?

No, Those radios use either the GMRS band or the FRS band, Neither of those can be recieved on a CB radio. CB uses the 11 Meter (27mhz) band.

Any other questions just ask. Read up at the forum I posted, there are a bunch of good guys over there that are WAY more knoledgeable that I am.

Last edited:
^^ Thats a fine radio for a trail jeep.
I like more features because CBing is a hobby of mine, but for the trail that should be just fine, I just wouldnt go w/ a firestik shorter than 4'. You really start cutting into performance when you go that short, also, stay away from the thru the glass antennas.

[FONT=&quot]It's just my opinion, based on over forty years of amateur radio experience, that CB is just a short-range medium, good for communicating with group on the trail or in camp. To expect that it will provide long range communications is foolishness. Yes, there are times in which you can talk long distances but that can sometimes last for only a few minutes until atmospheric conditions change.

I use a magnetic mount CB antenna that sits on top of the roof. If a limb hits it, it just gets knock over, no big deal. It is important to adjust the SWR to as low a level as possible to maximize output.

If you want a more a dependable two-way radio, look into getting a tech-level amateur license and then buying a 2-meter transceiver. The country has hundreds of 2-meter repeaters that enable you to communicate to the outside world, many times even in the middle of nowhere.[/FONT]

I have one of these: http://bobscb.com/cb/uniden/pro520xl.htm mounted in my Toyota p/u with a "no ground plane antenna" similar to this one: http://www.walcottcb.com/wilson-no-ground-fiberglass-antenna-kit-3ft-p-936.html (but, not that one). The radio is so compact, it'll mount just about anywhere and the antenna dosen't need a large reflective surface (like the roof) like conventional antennas so, you can achieve a pretty good match even if mounted to the spare tire mount. I plan on instlling the same setup on my XJ. Btw, matching the antenna (adjusting the SWR) is very important for good transmission and to prevent damage to the radio.------Hans

lazyxj said:
[FONT=&quot]It's just my opinion, based on over forty years of amateur radio experience, that CB is just a short-range medium, good for communicating with group on the trail or in camp. To expect that it will provide long range communications is foolishness. Yes, there are times in which you can talk long distances but that can sometimes last for only a few minutes until atmospheric conditions change.

I use a magnetic mount CB antenna that sits on top of the roof. If a limb hits it, it just gets knock over, no big deal. It is important to adjust the SWR to as low a level as possible to maximize output.

If you want a more a dependable two-way radio, look into getting a tech-level amateur license and then buying a 2-meter transceiver. The country has hundreds of 2-meter repeaters that enable you to communicate to the outside world, many times even in the middle of nowhere.[/FONT]

Yessir, you have a point. Ive got an Icom I-8000? waiting in the closet for me to get my tech licence....

maybe on the left coast its different. But in the midwest hams on the trail are pretty rare. I've only met 4, and one of those was actually in my group.

Littlewhitexj said:
cobra 75s are alright, but Id recommend a Uniden 510 for a compact radio. They can really be made to talk.
i agree , the uniden pro 510 is one amazing little radio,compact ,audio quality is great,loud and clear,cost $45 to $50. i recoment the any of the wilson antennas and an external speaker ,you could have a nice setup for about $100 to $150

Dude GO TO EBAY I bount a CB on there for a whole 9.00 bucks. Just buy from a good ranker!

90Pioneer said:
I am thinking of putting a CB radio into my jeep. Can anyone recommend a good quality unit that is nice and relatively compact as possible? I would like to spend in the ball park of $200 for the whole set up, but I'm willing to spend more if it would be worth while.

What's the major differences between the brands and the radios? How far can the average antenna send and receive transmissions?

I searched and 99% of the threads were "where should I mount my cb?"
most cb radios canot recieve a transmission from the GMS or motarola radios,however if you set up you cb with VOX ,it is possible to crossband and simotaniously transmitt on both GMS and CB

if you have pawn shops around sometimes you can get real good deals.i got a connex 3300 for $70 and a golden eagle 250 linear for $5 that i run in my frieghtliner.i run 20year old cobra 25 in xj.sits between pas seat & tunnel no mount.my 2cents old cobra 25 or 29 [mic cord on side]good radios.friend has little midland works good.not in favor of controls in mic.get a good noise canceling mic 'astatic' or 'turner' makes big difference in how you sound especially wind noise.talk to GOOD cb shop.peak&tune if new/not done.good luck.

Back