• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken bolt at collector

It's not obvious to look at these, but they are pressed in studs with heads, like a wheel stud. It can be difficult to get up there with a hammer or impact tool, but you can press or hammer them out. You're left with somewhat enlarged holes, but if you don't want to get studs again you can use bolts with a couple of extra washers.

Not air tools or torch.
Too bad. All I can add is the suggestion that you get a long metal rod that will allow you to get a good hit with a hammer from a decent position. Use a good hefty steel hammer, and try to hit it relatively fast and repetitively, rather than with enormous swings. Eventually, it should begin to budge, but those studs are in pretty tight, and you could be in for a long session.

Air hammer works liked a charm for me to get the rusted buggers out. I cut the broken stud flush with the flange first, then center punched and hit it with the air hammer. I replaced with stainless bolts and nuts. If 5-90 were listening, I'm sure he would suggest brass or bronze if you have them handy as they don't rust or seize like steel.

Back