• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix no spark help

chrslefty

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys here's my issue .
was driving down the road and i was having a sudden loss of power and the it came right back and then it just died .i thought that my fuel pump went out .
so to day i hooked up the fuel pressure tester and i have pressure after cranking and its been holding strong .
I'm not getting any spark from the coil .
checked the cps and its good "with volt meter "
so how do i verify that the coil is the culprit ?
any thoughts ?

thanks '
its a 89 with auto . with a 99 motor .with renix electronics .

The ohmeter check of the CPS is sketchy at best. From my opinion I would still put my money on the CPS.

The starter relay. I had the same problem with my 89.

theres a wire from the realy that connects to the coil. I did the same thing you did engine cranked fine then looked at that relay and saw all the wires connected to it and noticed that it was connected to the coil. Changed it and it fired right up.

so i was reading trough so older post and i came across this .

Try the relays as Martin suggested, I regularly play musical relays as a common troubleshooting methode. If that doesn´t do it and I remeber right, the large yellow wire at the coil, is hooked up directly to the ignition switch (through a couple of connectors), the same wire at a splice goes to the ign. input for the ECU (computer). If the yellow wire is getting juice with the ignition in the run position. This eliminates the ignition switch as the culprit. I would't touch a thing the next time the motor stops, when the key is returned to the run position, take something sharp to prick the large yellow wire at the ignition coil and test with a voltmeter or trouble light.

so this wires not getting power . shouls i still be looking at the relay or at the switch ?

CPS can have a THERMAL failure where it works fine when cool (or cooled down, I used a long funnel and water to cool mine down) and fails when warmed up. First time I replaced one the replacement was no good when warm. I tested it by warming it in the oven to 200 deg. and the resistance went away.

thats good info unfortinaly mines not firing when cold .
so i cheaked the inition switch and it ade no differance in any position .so im going to replace the starter relay .which was a pain to find in the stors or dealer ship . nappa has it for 50 $ . #33003934 .

thats were I had to get mine from.

And that worked for about a min and now I'm not geting spark or my fuel pressure with the key in the on position . So.... inigition switch of I'm sshorting out some were.. any toughts.

Sweet I love when its an easy fix. i just wish that it didint take so much time and money to find out what it was.

It may be . New coil and still no spark . The cps is pretty new tho.what's the thingamager under the coil ?and how do ya cheack it ?

The thingamager is the ignition control module (ICM).

The starter relay. I had the same problem with my 89.

The starter relay is here:

2426393_11_full.gif

...on the left (not colored) with all the wires in and out of it.

well its at it again !! gurrrrrrrrrrrrr!! so im getting the same problem . i took the starter ot of the equasion and im getting the same resoults .no spark and no pressure with the key in the on position. im at a loss .any toughts ?i redid my grounds just to make sure .

so i do have a question about the starter relay . should any of the leads be getting power when the key is in the on position ? not cranking but in the on position ? i know that one is a ground but what about the rest ?
i did find a nasty problem while hunting down my problem .the green wire coming off of the starter relay was joined with a green and wight wire from the harness/plug buy the batt. and then went to the starter solenoid .well the wire after the connection wast toasted . i acutely put my test light trough the wire !! butty fab at its finest . so at some point there had been a problem and now I'm paying for their crappy repair job . it was wrapped in duct tape . i didn't see it before because it was hidden in the wire loom . so I'm thinking that this wire might have shorted out and smoked the new starter relay . toughs ??
and thankx for you help
pics
the two wires spliced to gether the wire exiting goes to the statrer silenoid
2009-09-012015450.jpg

the harness buy the batt.
2009-09-012015548.jpg

and the spegity coming off of the starter relay . you can kinda see were the green wire plugs in .
2009-09-012015617.jpg

so im going to redo the wiring and try and figure out were the wires are supose to go . do i need a new relay ?
sorry for the bad pics they were tooking at night with my drop light and phone

The Renix starter relay is also the power distribution center.

One large lug, three small male spade connectors.

Large lug is hooked directly to the battery positive terminal, and has numerous power distribution leads running off of it.

Three male spade terminals; one SOL, one IGN, one GRND. The SOL is where the wire that runs from the starter relay runs down to the starter solenoid, this wire carries 12v to the solenoid to energize it. The GRND runs to the fenderwell for a ground. The IGN is the delivery point for 12v from the ignition switch when the key is in the "START" position.

If the key is not in the start position, then there should only be 12v at the large PDC lug. When the key is turned to the start position there should be 12v in at IGN, 12v out at SOL, and GRND is still just a ground.

hey guys so I'm still fighting this problem .
Ive tried just about everything that i could think of .i checked the ignition control module . replaced the puter . replaced the cps the ignition switch and still nothing ..
so any toughs ?
on a side note . when i replaced the ignition switch the brown and red wires connections were fried . I'm getting power to the wires now .I'm getting power to the ignition coil , still no power to the fuel pump for the initial priming . i do get power and presser when cranking . but still no spark ..
please help !!
this is my daily driver and its been down for over a month .

The Latch Relay (ASD relay) circuit when not functioning will keep power from the coil and the fuel pump for priming. I think you need to test that circuit.

Back