• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 loredo ABS axles

dz1675

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 loredo with abs brakes that are shot. I have seen the article that talks about getting rid of the ABS and converting to standard brakes. I have access to a 91 XJ with standard brakes. Would it be worth my time to swap out the front end and rear end ABs for the standard front and rear end of the other XJ in addition to dumping the ABS system. I plan on lifting the Loredo and my concern is in regards to the ABS tone rings on each axle etc. Please advise. Thanks.

There are easier ways around getting rid of the ABS. You'll want to keep the ABS axle shafts as they are 297 joints, the good ones. Having tone rings or not, if the ABS is disabled, they serve no purpose and are fine just staying on the axle shafts.

Search for "Bendix ABS", several options for junking it, I went with a 95/96 dual diaphram booster, reflared the existing lines, pulled a few fuses and replaced the rear wheel cylinders. If you've got the 91 with regular brakes, while the booster isn't as strong as later years, it is more reliable than that first generation ABS.

Back