• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power tranny option?

It is supposed to move the shift points up. It's most noticeable at the 4th gear upshift. It should always be in the power setting, comfort is teh suck. I believe after 1990 they removed this switch and power is the default setting.

In addition to moving the shift points up a bit, it also was supposed to make them a little more crisp. On my old 87 I noticed it most when driving very gently. If you tend to put your foot in it anyway, you won't notice much difference if any at all. You also probably won't notice much difference in economy, but the comfort setting might get you a little gain. There's no gain in highway mileage once you're up to fourth gear anyway. If you're pulling a load, put it in power mode anyway. If you're pussyfooting down an icy road, you might find comfort mode less likely to break out. I usually kept mine in comfort mode, hoping for a bit of extra gas mileage, but it's mostly a matter of taste.

It only just makes the shift feel a bit crisper by locking the t/c up quicker. The trans compuer really has no control on how fast the shift occurs. The adjustment of the throttlebody-tranny cable will affect that though.

how would you adjust that cable?
Assuming you just want to set it to factory specs, it's done at the throttle body. There's a button in the sheath, sort of half moon shaped. You push the button in, and push the inner sheath as far back (away from the TB) as it goes. Then open the throttle to full throttle. The sheath will ratchet itself to the proper position.

Yeah all it really does is change the shift tables a bit. Shifting sooner makes the shifts smoother (comfort) while shifting later gives more performance (power). There are also minor changes in thje 3rd to OD shift sequence but they are trivial. 91 was the last year with the switch and it was locked to Power after that.

Back