• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

79 F-250 axles

NJblackdeath4x4

NAXJA Forum User
i accidentally posted this in the oem tech forum and couldnt figure out how to move it so im reposting it here

how desirable are axles (44/60) out of a 79 f-250?

i did some reading on here and pirate and found a couple ppl running these axles but i also read one person posting that the 60 in the 79 f-250 is 30 spline and ultimately equal in strength to my xj44. can anyone verify that for me?

That HPD44 is going to be one of the most desirable 44s you'll want if you are going to swap in a front 44.

The '79 F250 D60 rear will have 30 splines, but it is stronger in several ways over the XJ44. Also, it isn't all that hard (but quite time consuming) to bore out the spindles to be able to accept 35 spline shafts. That '79 should have the big bearing spindles and will have plenty of material to do so.

It all depends on what the person selling them is asking for. I wouldn't pay much more than $250-350 for that front axle, and no more than $100-125 for the complete rear, depending on the condition of them of course.

so would it be worth it to pick up the combo for 300?

im pretty sure that 1 day ill want to run 37s

Bill is very correct.

Also, with the F250 HP44 front, you will have dual piston calipers and larger hubs than the F150 HP44's. This means that you will have an 8 lug pattern, but that point is moot because you will have the 8 lug D60 in the rear.

The rear shafts are still larger than the XJ44, and the ring gear is larger as well.

Edit: Is everything complete, and in decent condition? Yes, $300 is a pretty good price for that. I picked up my HP44 out of an F150 for $175.

$300 would be a good deal for those if you want to swap in a 44/60 combo.
Otherwise I'd start looking harder for a 60/60 or 60/14b combo. Spend the money once and spend in right, IMO.

thanks guys

if theyre still available i think im gunna pick em up soon

Keep in mind that because of the larger brakes you are going to have to run at least 16.5'' wheels.

edit: I should also mention that you can run 15'' wheels, but you will have to grind down the caliper a significant amount in order to do that.

yea thanks for the heads up. i was considering h2s cuz of the backspacing and i think they would look sick painted flat black

The rear shafts are still larger than the XJ44,

This is inaccurate. 30 spline Dana 60 shafts have identical spline profile and minor shaft diameters as an XJ Dana 44.

so theyre nothing special over my xj44 shaft strength wise?

Correct, though you do get quite a bit of piece of mind if you do break a shaft. The full float design allows you too drive home with your wheel retention system fully intact.

If you are thinking 37" tires, I would buy the front 44 and run 35 spline semi-float (OEM style) shafts in your rear 44.

Back