• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Pattern Check

wickedwenzel

NAXJA Forum User
This is a dana 30HP on my 1999 xj.
.024" pinion
.008 backlash

P1010896.jpg
P1010898.jpg

clean it off and do it again.

Next time mix a drop of gear oil in the compound, stir it up and remark. Dont use the pinion to turn carrier, turn the carrier from the front by hand. I also would like to see the transfer on iether side of your marked teeth

We can probably help more that way.

P1010913.jpg

P1010914.jpg

P1010919.jpg

Here are some cleaner looking patterns. I tried adding a little oil to the paint and turning the ring by hand instead of with the pinion. What do you guys think? Still think its .002" too deep?

I didn't change anything from the last pics. I was just trying to obtain a cleaner looking pattern so you guys could read it easier. I'm probebly going to do what others have said and remove about .002" and see what happens.

It looks real close. How tight is the carrier? Did you have to use the hard plastic mallet to get the carrier to seat?

Like said before, i bit deep on the pinion, however you will probably be fine if your ran it like that.

I'm using a case spreader. The case is spread to .015" and the carrier requires a light tap with a rubber mallet to seat it. The pinion is at .024" right now, but I still need to put the .020" oil baffle back in. So what I'll probebly do is run the baffle and a .003" shim which will total .023" (.001" less than I have it now). Then I'll adjust the backlash back to .008 and call it good. I'll post some pics of the final pattern when I get to it. Thanks for your help.

I would tighten up the backlash also, .008" is alot for a D30.

RCP Phx,

The specs I have for the backlash is .006 to .010. I figured I would split the difference and go with .008. What are you recomending? Anyone else have any input on the best backlash for a dana 30? Thanks

On a D30 I like to do no more than .006".

I'm using a case spreader. The case is spread to .015" and the carrier requires a light tap with a rubber mallet to seat it. The pinion is at .024" right now, but I still need to put the .020" oil baffle back in. So what I'll probebly do is run the baffle and a .003" shim which will total .023" (.001" less than I have it now). Then I'll adjust the backlash back to .008 and call it good. I'll post some pics of the final pattern when I get to it. Thanks for your help.
This sounds like a good plan. BTW your shims and a diff magnet are in the mail.

Back