• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New EGR, cheapest place

Johnnie Walker

Piece of Fish!
NAXJA Member
Where is the cheapest place to get one? Anyone have a spare known good working one they would care to donate? Did a smog pre-test and my Jeep failed fuel evap and egr funct. tests. Thanks for help.

Well, I checked the "function" of the valve (pulling the rod) and the engine did idle like scheisse. So I think its somewhere in the lines. I havent pulled it apart yet, but how much would that plastic transducer piece affect anything? The lines are not cracked and at least appear to be connected.
I gotta figure this crap out and the fuel evap sitch. so I can register this damn thing. Or find a shop that with pass those little things (ha)

I'm guessing that the vacuum lines or the transducer itself are messed, when I get back from vaca I'll tinker with mine and apply vacuum to the egr and see if it solves the problem.

That little black thingie is the EGR backpressure transducer. It does not allow the egr to open unless there is sufficient exhaust backpressure( ie: engine is under load) they sometimes burn up. You can carefully pry the top off of it and inspect the diaphragm inside. If the diaphragm is burned then it is no good. If the diaphragm is ok you can snap it back together. Also check the hose from the bottom of the egr to the bottom of the transducer if it is damaged the transducer will not read the proper backpressure. The transducer is not available by itself, it comes with the egr valve. If it is burned it usually points to a larger problem, such as restricted exhaust. If you have a vacuum gauge, hook it to the vac. line coming to the transducer from the engine. Rev the engine a few times and you should see the vacuum signal jump up a little. If this happens the vac system is working properly. This is how we test them in the smog shop where I work. Try applying vacuum directly to the egr valve with a vacuum pump. Engine should stall. This tests the egr diaphragm as well as egr passages. Hope this helps.

Back