• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent Driveshaft?? Help me out gentlemen

VTEK1

NAXJA Forum User
Okay 99 XJ heavyduty leafs (roughly 2 inch budget lift.) stock front end. 4.0, 125,000 miles. I replaced the u-joints in the front, the wheel bearing on the front passenger side (driverside this wkend) and then I did the leafs about a week or 2 ago. Thought that would get rid of my vibrations on the highway but it's weird. When I start driving the jeep it's fine, then around 30 I feel like the area right under the seat is starting to vibrate. Like the driveshaft is outta whack. The pinion angle is pretty much 0 degrees I'm thinking about putting the shims in to really make it dead 0 but I want to figure out why it's still got vibrations. Another thing is I think one of the rims might be a little bent but not a lot. Would just a little bend in the rim create the vibrations I'm feeling on the highway?? How can you check if the driveshaft is bent, if you even can.

I guess you could take it out and roll it in a flat surface (garage floor) and look to see if it stays straight. I had a vibe problem on my 78 waggy and it ended up being caused by the angle of the driveshaft not being the same at the transfer case as it was at the pinion. I am fairly certain that both ends of the driveshaft should be the same angle.

Back