• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to confirm this SYE angle is okay

chpmnsws6

NAXJA Forum User
I have 3.2 degrees of angle between the driveshaft and the rear end U-joint. This is just out of the 1-3 degree limit for a U-joint, but its pointed down which will allow for axle wrap. The question- How much axle wrap do we get when running down the highway? Would it be enough to put it within the 1-2 degree range which is ideal, or should I be looking for a 1-2 degree wedge?

i think you'll be fine. if you have vibes on the highway or you use wear out the u-joint prematurely then fix it.

How long to U-joints last typically? The front shaft has 163k on it and the rear (front) has 175k on it. :laugh2:

Here is a great reference site, they also sell custom D-shafts:

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Where did you get your 1°-3° spec from? I'm running my rear pinions 1° down and it works just fine. I had to install a 2° shim to get there though and it was a big improvement. I'd say 3.2° is too much, but your question about axle wrap is a good one. What kind of lift are you running in the rear, extended shackle?

You can tell by feel if your U-joints and CV joints are wearing out. Angular slop and a lack of resistance to movement are good indicators. I had my U-Joints replaced in my front shaft @ 140k, but thats mostly because I was running with the angles a little off for 10k.

Back