• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to 3" with bastard pack?

DementedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
well i currently have a 2"BB on my 98 xj and i am wanting to go to 3" and do it right this time. My springs are a little sagging so i thought i would go ahead and do a bastard pack to get the rear up so i can pitch the 2" blocks. I have searched high and low and it seems everyone keeps netting around 4-6" but im not seeing anyone getting 3-3.5". I would like to keep it a nice soft ride but would also like to incorporate a overload leaf as i do hual a trailer from time to time and a ton of tools in the hatch. this is a 98% on road only XJ as it is my DD and i drive 60mi a day in it, so flex is the least of my worrys. thanks

Get a pair of leaf packs from something in the junkyard, break it loose, break yours loose from your vehicle, mix and match until your desired ride height. Not the easiest or fastest way, but definitely the cheapest. You may be able to find someone on here that's done it for 3-3.5" that already has the recipe for you to copy. I think if you could find packs from a MJ, the steps in length might be about right so you wouldn't have to cut ends for the right lengths. I'm thinking that if you took the top 2 leafs from a MJ pack(2wd) and shuffled them into your stock pack, that would be close to what you're looking for. Should still ride and flex well also.

Parts Copied and Pasted from Post #19: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1005291&page=2

This Post has what was PMed to me so the Author of the Quoted Suggestions will remain Anonymous.

This Bastard Pack is Suggested for a 3 to 3.5" Lift.

Quote:
if your going with shackle relocator i would go with xj leaf pack and find another set of donor packs and use the main cut to support main leaf with bushings, 2nd & 3rd from donor staggered to fit. radius all the ends & use double lipped liner or almost just as good is moly dry lube spray. a 1.5 " shackle and you should be between 4.5 and 5". will flex well with open u bolt style leaf clamps and flex carry some weight.
I think this is a Great Idea. Thanks.

also suggested:

Quote:
a 1" drop pitman arm actually puts your draglink below your trac bar and as you know they should be paralell. it also puts more stress on the steering box. why it came with a 3" lift is beyond me. they are bandaids used if tall lifts, when OTK steering is the correct fix. at 4.5" still not required.

No Drop Pitman Arm then. I have plans to do an Over the Knuckle Steering Conversion later on. Thanks again.

Quote:
hope this helps.

It certainly does! Thank you. This is Awesome Stuff. Thanks.

I would like to Thank this very knowledgable Jeeper for PMing me with all these Fantastic Ideas.

Scroll to the very bottom of this page and read the 5 Similar Threads about bastard packs.

soo i guess thats a No. thanks for the help even though i did search and come across all those pages. I was looking for more insight than that as i am concerned with hauling loads but keeping a nice ride. My plans were to use a XJ set and see what it comes up with but what to do about an overload???

get leaf packs from a 91 ranger. use XJ main leaf, ranger 2nd, ranger 3rd, XJ 3rd, XJ 4th. in that order. the ranger 2nd leaf has to have a couple inches cut off one end but other than that, its pretty easy. this pack got right at 3" of lift. grab the ranger shackles as they are about 1.5" longer and can be used if you get a couple washers. they are a little wider on the spring end. i have a nice ride, almost stock i would say. if you get the complete packs they will have overload springs in them you cam use. i was able to reuse my stock u-bolts but needed new pins to hold the leaves togther.

zedpapa

thanks Zed. Thats the kind of info i was hoping for! i just happen to know where a set of leafs from a 94 ranger are... i wonder if they are the same rate as the 91's..

Back