• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on getting 15x8 rims w/2 3/4" back spacing for XJ w/6" lift ?

slowpoe

NAXJA Forum User
I have a new to me 96XJ w/ 5.5 RE short arm lift with 2" spacers in the front & 2" blocks in the back. I measured and have 7.5" actual lift in the front & 6" in the rear (The RE 4.5 Springs must be sacked an 1 1/2).
I want this thing to be stable on the trails I go on which are off camber on scary hills:spin1: I bought 35x12.5x15 swamper LTB's and want to put them on 15x8 rims. I want to get soft 8's w/ 2 3/4" BS(special order) I think I can get them from Summit racing for $40 each(they will let me know tomarrow) I want to know if this is to extream or am I just saving money from buying regular BS at 3 3/4" to 4" then finding out I have to get or need wheel spacers at $100-$200 later?
Fenders are trimmed & Im willing to trim more & I am aware of the extra stress I will be putting on the ball joints & my new china hub bearings.
What else should I be concerned about?
Keep in mind that this is mostly just an offroad toy that may be driven 2K a year at most mix of on -off roading

GOOD or BAD IDEA= 2 3/4BS $170 w/tax(I think) or just get some used 15x8 w/the normal 3 3/4" to 4" for $80-$100 & use the money on something else:smoker:

Oh ya Should I ditch the rear blocks for a rear shackle relocation lift & also ditch the front 2" spacers I do not want to be tipsy

Im an ex 85 Toyota owner so you jeep guys let me know what I need to do.:worship:

I have a new to me 96XJ w/ 5.5 RE short arm lift with 2" spacers in the front & 2" blocks in the back. I measured and have 7.5" actual lift in the front & 6" in the rear (The RE 4.5 Springs must be sacked an 1 1/2).
I want this thing to be stable on the trails I go on which are off camber on scary hills:spin1:

This is a really Scary Setup to say the least.

5.5 RE short arm lift with 2" spacers: 0.75" Coil Spacers would be better IMHO. With something that tall, I hope that RE Kit had the Drop Down Brackets as well. Are the Control Arms Adjustable? If not, you will need to get some I think.

Refer here for proper Control Arm Length with RE or RC Drop Brackets:

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

6" in the rear (The RE 4.5 Springs must be sacked an 1 1/2): They may of sagged about a 1/2 of an inch. 4.5+2=6.5"s of Lift unless your XJ has 1" Lift Shackles too.

2" blocks in the back: Get rid of the Blocks for sure and use Lift Shackles instead. Lift Blocks are for Mall Crawlers because they will cause Axle Wrap Offroad.

4.5" Springs with 2.5" Lift Shackles will put you at about 7"s of Lift. If they sagged a 1/2 inch then 6.5"s of Lift or there abouts. Fine for 35s.

I bought 35x12.5x15 swamper LTB's and want to put them on 15x8 rims. I want to get soft 8's w/ 2 3/4" BS(special order) I think I can get them from Summit racing for $40 each(they will let me know tomarrow) I want to know if this is to extream or am I just saving money from buying regular BS at 3 3/4" to 4" then finding out I have to get or need wheel spacers at $100-$200 later?

For 12.50s, 3.75" BS on an 8" Rim is fine unless you have a Ford Explorer F8.8 for a Rear Axle. Then you would need 1.25" Wheel Spacers too for only the F8.8 IMHO.

Fenders are trimmed & Im willing to trim more & I am aware of the extra stress I will be putting on the ball joints & my new china hub bearings.

What else should I be concerned about? Auto, Medical, and Life Insurance. LOL

Keep in mind that this is mostly just an offroad toy that may be driven 2K a year at most mix of on -off roading

GOOD or BAD IDEA= 2 3/4BS $170 w/tax(I think) Really bad Idea IMHO.

or just get some used 15x8 w/the normal 3 3/4" to 4" for $80-$100 & use the money on something else:smoker: There you go. Get 15x8s with 3 3/4" BS.

Oh ya Should I ditch the rear blocks for a rear shackle relocation lift & also ditch the front 2" spacers I do not want to be tipsy. For 35s and lots of Flex get 0.75" Coil Spring Spacers and swap them in. Use 2.5" Lift Shackles until your Leaf Springs give up the ghost and you need to do something else IMHO.

Im an ex 85 Toyota owner Some of us will forgive you. I had a Yota 4x4 before my XJ myself. I can not forgive myself. LOL so you jeep guys let me know what I need to do.:worship:

Hope this helps.

Cher96 Thanks for the very informative info.
My 96 was set up with the RE drop brackets,but it does not have adjustable CA's I am going to take your advice and remove the 2" aluminum coil spacer & put in a 3/4" poly one for the front & see were I am at then for alignment.
The rear consists of 4.5" lift RE leafs & 1.25"(5"long)greasable shackels & 2" hollow aluminum lift blocks:scared: = 7 3/4" so the leaf pack must have settled 1 3/4" which I guess they are known to do (The RE's)
I think I will do a shackle relocation or just longer shackels & get rid of the blocks (I will have to reserch this one)

If I find the right deal on used rims I will probably go that route (not sure yet)
I really just need to get some time behind the wheel to see what else I will need to do.

Right now I putting on a Dynomax cat back from Summit Racing $143-$75 rebate + $20 off on next purchase of $100 for spending $100 (some instore promotional deal) = $48 exaust
I also have to fix the ARB RD30= cylinder cap retaining bolts fell out (known problem) new bearings& seals :flamemad:

Thanks for the input

I used to run 6.5'' of lift on 35x12.50 MTRs on 15x8 wheels with 2.75'' of backspacing. Never had any real problems.

When I swapped out the front 30, my balljoints were a bit shot, but as far as I know they were the original ball joints with 215k miles on them.

Pics
P1010741.jpg

P1010744.jpg

Everything stuffed perfectly.
273.jpg

Starboard M What lift set up is that .Are the pics with the 2 3/4"BS rims
They do not stick out to bad. Did it have the dana 30 & 8.25
Thanks for the pics :yelclap: And the info This site is Great

Starboard M What lift set up is that .Are the pics with the 2 3/4"BS rims
They do not stick out to bad. Did it have the dana 30 & 8.25
Thanks for the pics :yelclap: And the info This site is Great
Its a RE/T&T lift. Sits at ~6.5'' of lift. Yes, those pictures are with 2.75'' of BS on a D30/44 combo.

They sit out a fair amount. I dont really know how much, but its more then half of the tread of the tire, so at least 6'' past the body.

Back