• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car Hauler Trailers

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I'm interested in putting my jeep on a trailer and hauling it to trails, especially ones that are a ways away. I've done some searches but could anyone give some advice on specs I should be looking for as well as good websites.

I agree on largest you can get, but dont feel more then one fo the two axles with brakes is needed, IF you tow with a capible rig! IF your towing with a 1/2 or less then maybe. but my wifes 08 seq and my 01 excursion both do great adn can stop FAST if needed with one axle only.

if your getting a flat bed style not enclosed, then its really not that my rocket science I feel.

Mine is a 10'000 lb. 18' beaver tail with brakes on both axels and if you do Big Bear,Cajon Pass etc. it's sure nice to have them brakes when your coming done the hill.....SANTA

No $#!^...Neither one of those hills are fun without brakes.

Make absolutely sure that the vehicle you are towing it with is capable of the weights, including the trailer, rig and any extras.

Leep

Well ok IF your going more then the typical 7000lbs setup then yes I would agree. I didnt think about the dual 5K lbs axles that are avail.. but then again I dont think you can get a 10K trailer without dual, can you?

In any case..

I use a aztek (the cheapest you can get I think) 7000lbs 16ft with one axle brakes, D load range tires and only use the friction sway control rarely. I am happy with it. I paid I think 1700 brand new and mine was custom ordered with 6" wider, I was told the max width I can go unless I raise the bed way up and go over the tires with it. also, they added railing around the front section.

What is with all the crap on brakes being on both axles?

It totally depends on the trailer weight and the size of the brakes. I had one trailer that had brakes on two axles and they were 11" brakes. With the trailer controller set to the lowest setting (0.5), the trailer would consistently lock up when not loaded. The trailer alone weighed 1846# and when fully loaded my trailer controller had to be set at 2.1 (out of 10) or it would lock up when I engage the brakes. I actually got out and snipped the brakes on one of the axles to make things 'normal'

BTW Santa, that was your old trailer and it had 10K axles (dual 5K) on it. The brakes were not hooked up until I got it and DAMN they were powerful.

My current trailer weighs a couple of pounds less (1840#) and loaded I am at about 6000#. One axle is more than adequate.

I tow with a PSD SD and that makes a WORLD of difference as well (right tool for the right job).

Last edited:
Well ok IF your going more then the typical 7000lbs setup then yes I would agree. I didnt think about the dual 5K lbs axles that are avail.. but then again I dont think you can get a 10K trailer without dual, can you?

I don't think you can get a 10K without dual axle brakes.

The only thing I wish I had was a gooseneck enclosed trailer. Next time......

What is with all the crap on brakes being on both axles?

It totally depends on the trailer weight and the size of the brakes. I had one trailer that had brakes on two axles and they were 11" brakes. With the trailer controller set to the lowest setting (0.5), the trailer would consistently lock up when not loaded. The trailer alone weighed 1846# and when fully loaded my trailer controller had to be set at 2.1 (out of 10) or it would lock up when I engage the brakes. I actually got out and snipped the brakes on one of the axles to make things 'normal'

Those are some good brakes, I started with single axle braking and it was just fine until you panic stopped with 9000 lbs, then it was more exciting then I like. I added brakes to the other axle and wow, that sure made a difference when panic stopping, of course my brakes only lock up when empty while backing up, I can live with that for the extra security.

Those are some good brakes, I started with single axle braking and it was just fine until you panic stopped with 9000 lbs, then it was more exciting then I like. I added brakes to the other axle and wow, that sure made a difference when panic stopping, of course my brakes only lock up when empty while backing up, I can live with that for the extra security.

SO your towing 9000lbs on a 7000lbs trailer? Or you have a 10k trailer that for some reason only had one axle with brakes?

Whats the average price range I'm looking at....$1,500???

IF you get lucky and find used. Otherwise I think the cheapest u can get new is as I posted about 1799 now.

Typ is about 2-2500 I think now.

Both Matty and I are running Carson car haulers.
Duel axles, single axle brakes, flat bed, full width.
Carson's basic package, about 2K (maybe a little less.)

I had been looking on Craig's list for a long time and was
not impressed with the used trailers I saw there. It seems as
though most people think thier used trailer is as valuable as a
new one.

I ordered a 20 foot Carson trailer in 2004.It is 96" front to rear,had the front widdened from wheel wells forward.It also is a dovetail(beavertail) and that was the worst mistake I made as it would drag everywhere.We have hauled everything from my 3500LB prerunner to 5000LB trucks with no problem and single axle brakes.$2750 back in 2004.

So if i got a trailer with 7000lbs axles underneith it, would that be enough to haul my xj and maybe 2 quads or something? or do you think the axles would be to weak?

If your gonna tow that much weight I would go with tandem 5200# axles with brakes on both. I built mine this way and I love the aggressive brakes.

I'd thought about buying a 7k trailer...... and ultimately decided to go with a 10k trailer, 102" width, and drive over fenders. It paid off yesterday when I ended up having to haul my CTD home yesterday, 600 miles. There's no way I'd have been able to do that with a 7k trailer.

Back