• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sand Lake anyone? Video link inside...

Huh, the guy rode right out into the path of the racers. You would assume they'd let the locals know that the race course was right through there and keep people out of it. Kid got back up and was moving, hopefully he's okay.

i love sand lakes on the three day weekends and any other time... the trick to surving is not being an idiot and riding across the face of a dune. or any where else people are racing or could jump over the dune. in my opinion the guy on the bike deserved it... it sucks it happened but that's what happens when you're an idiot.

lets put it this way.. i have been to sand lake 5 times now. in those 5 times i have come to these conclusions

Speed does not kill, Being an idiot does.. watch your surroundings

Air down air down air down air down air down... 2 out of the 5 times i was there, i was stuck for atleast an hour, digging out and Airing down.. all because i didnt take the time to air down before i got on the sand..

If its a busy weekend, avoid it, 3 out of the 5 times i was there, i witnessed Death, or serious injury, the 3rd time i was there i witnessed 3 life flights and 3 ambulances.. 3(?) died 2 survived with serious injuries.. i would have to dig up the story.. but it was all because of a drunk dude in a sand rail hit a sober family in another sand rail.. killing all the kids(?)

its just not fun to me if i have to be super carefull about every action i make. because it could kill someone.. you dont have to worry nearly as much about personal harm on a forest trail

the last thing i learned from sand lake, is i would trade my jeep for a banshee on the sand anyday.

ya i guess i should have thrown that in too... no jeep for me there either, take the big truck and the dune hauler with all the bikes and camp with several friends... i get it, i've seen tons of life flights and ambulances but we go several times a year to just about anywhere with sand and have a good time everytime. you don't constantly have to be on guard but you have to know your surroundings in certain situations. when there are several people on top of a dune and all around, there's no way you cut across the face of the dune.... just don't be stupid and all is good usually.

Yeah i heard about the sand rails and that really sucks. I refuse to go to sand lake with the GF for that exact reason. The Jeep would be ok but she has only been on a quad for about 50 hours so dont really wanna take her some where where she could get seriously hurt. We have a place to ride where its all private so its much safer for her to learn. i would take my quad but ive ridden a street bike for quite a few years and i survived so i guess if you ride you quad with the same mentality you would probably be okay

sand lake gets crazy......but were doesn't? anyway i didnt see any flags on any rigs/quads....they do help........some just be safe and think survival lol thats how i deal with it.

anyway thats my 2 cents

-Shane

Yeah they are really big which ones. Is everyone on this web site sarcastic. Thanks for nothing i will look at all the campsites in every place that i know of maybe i will run into someone with a 4 wheel drive

He will be at the south jetty more than likely. I was out there a couple weeks ago and it was a ghost town! It was awesome not having to worry about what knuckle head was going to fly around a blind corner! You guys should try the BLM dunes down next to Driftwood Shores Resort. It's never crowded and about half the size of the South Jetty area.

Thanks for the info 96sport that helps loads it would be nice to ride quads with fellow xjers. nice to get a strait answer

Yeah i know. I heard joshua is really bad now with rangers and such. Dont really need to worry however i stay pretty much on the strait and narrow. Joshua is the BML land north of the driftwood hotel i belive thats the one you are talking about. Thanks again for the info.

They hide and more often then not they come out when someone calls for them to come out for whatever reason. Ive had them come out for me before. I didnt do anything wrong so they let me go.

Back