• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drum brake question (have searched)

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so first off, I have searched just about everything that has to do with drum brakes, and it appears as though nobody here is a dumb as I am lol....

So I replaced my shoes today and on the second side, after I got it all put back together, adjusted properly, and wheels put back on and lowered it back down, I noticed I left one piece out on the right side only....left it sitting on the arm of the lift.....

The piece in question is the piece that goes on before the 2 springs it's kind of trapezoidal shaped and it appears that it just acts as a spacer or something. Is this a big deal? Should I take everything back apart just to put that back on?

There are no noises and everything works great, so I'm just wondering if that piece is crucial to proper operation!

Thanks in advance!!!

You need to put it in!

Fair enough....but what does it actually do? It didn't seem like it does much of anything, especially since everything works fine. It seemed like more of a spacer than anything else. I can tell you this, it made it really hard to get the second spring seated on the first side....on the right side, both springs went on fine!

Its called shoe guied plate it helps keep the shoes in the proper position.

Are we all talking about the same thing? The piece I am talking about is just a flat piece of metal that goes on the top round pin that both springs connect to. Nothing connects to this piece of metal, it just sits there, I know because I remember taking them off and thinking what's the point of this, and I have it installed on the other side. Anyways, it goes on the pin before the 2 springs, then the 2 springs go on the same pin.

i think i misunderstood....
the piece at the top "pin" where the springs hook over? that's just a guide to keep everything in place. i'd put it back in. without it, there's a possibility that the shoes could get all cockeyed and lock up, or refuse to grab properly. not the most important piece in there, but i wouldn't feel comfortable about it's absence.

I don't think we can tell what piece you are talking about. There are two pins that each get one spring and a spring retainer. These hold the shoes in place. Then there is the bar across the top that gets springs put on it which works the parking brakes.

from what I see he is talking about the small piece that goes on the center top stud where you stretch the long springs onto. Yes you do need it as stated earlier it helps keep the shoes from getting stuck out, after releasing the brake pedal, on the edge of the spring.

I don't think we can tell what piece you are talking about. There are two pins that each get one spring and a spring retainer. These hold the shoes in place. Then there is the bar across the top that gets springs put on it which works the parking brakes.

I do not think this pic is of a from a Cherokee but you will get the idea. If I am right he is talking bout the top center piece were the 2 long springs go to in this pic.. right above the wheel cylinder
490853229_c67142fbd8.jpg

The shoes may chatter or bind, the spring will eventually grind it's way into the shoe, the shoe rub off some of the spring or the spring my pop off.
I once screwed up and didn't get the spring seated just right, it popped off. A few days later I put it on the brake machine to test the adjustment. That side came up weak, you could see it on the the printout. I don't know exactly why, but the spring and spacer are more important than you think. Unequal braking in the rear is less drastic than the front, until you panic brake on a wet or slippery surface, then it can turn you around in a circle jiffy quick.

I do not think this pic is of a from a Cherokee but you will get the idea. If I am right he is talking bout the top center piece were the 2 long springs go to in this pic.. right above the wheel cylinder
490853229_c67142fbd8.jpg

That is EXACTLY the piece I am talking about, thanks for posting the pic....on the cherokee, it's more shaped like a trapezoid, but as stated before, it just slides on, then the parking brake cable over that, then the 2 springs...nothing ACTUALLY connects to the piece itself.

Back