• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rockrails

Steve

NAXJA Forum User
There are a million different rockrails out there. What do you guys recommend? I prefer the look of the square, black rails I've seen, but don't know what to look for as far as standards go for strength, quality, etc.. Also, does anybody have any info on the rails they sell on the Jeepjamboree.com site? As usual, any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

I have ORGS's Super Nerfs. I like the square tube because it seems to hold a hi-lift better than round...but I like the look of the round tube. The Super Nerfs are both, square bottom, and round side protection. I've only hit them a couple times, but they did their job. They get my vote!

Unfortunately they will have to go soon...my 37's don't clear them! I need to have some custom made a little shorter.
-Mike

37's? I couldn't imagine owning an XJ that runs 37" tires and not be able to weld up my own rails! Its gotta' cost you a small fortune to have all the nesc. work farmned out!!!:D
I built my own rails using 1/4" 2X3 in. tube. I set mine far enough out so that any rock or tree would hit the rail instead of the doors. They sit out farther than most you will see...but they have already saved the doors at least once. They work best as typical rock sliders and as tree nerfs....I wish I could show you some pics. but I,as yet, am not digital...

I built my own out of 2 x 6 x 3/16 tube. 1/4 is a bit overkill IMHO, and heavy. Mine have had the hell bashed out of them on the trails for a couple years and only have some rash to show for it. They stick out far enough to keep from getting into the door unless the rock sticks out & grabs you. Here's a crappy pic of the front of the rail, you can kind of see them here.

http://www.rockxj.com/images/fronttire.jpg

I've only heard good things about the C4x4 rails. I have the 2" square ones but haven't hit anything with them on a trail yet. I did lift the entire side of the XJ off the ground with a Hi-Lift when I put them on. I didn't see any flexing.

I got mine from Daniel at Denali Offroad. He had the best price that I could find. They may not be on his site but give him a call. He'll treat you right.

Hmm...I thought those of us that can afford the 37's made enough cash to farm out the work. (j/k)
Here I was proud of myself just building the rig in a single car garage in my townhome. Its like dancing around a jungle gym trying to get around the Jeep. No room for any welding equipt anyway. If you want to some over any weld up some crap for me...come on over!
Seriously...if someone in Denver could help me out...give me a shout!
-Mike

My neighbor has one of the trickest XJs I have seen to date and it won't even fit into his garage! His garage is a single! I on the other hand have a typical two car deal...and wish I had more room.....
I agree that the 1/4" wall is over kill...each side weighs 45 lb.
I'm thinking about trying some 1/8" wall stuff...If I don't like it I can give them to one of my brothers....they also own XJs. :D
Most of the rails I have seen to date are 2X2 bolted directly to the pinch seam under the door (as well as having exstentions to bolt to the 'frame') I don't think they do enough to protect the doors......but once again...
just my opinion.....

Colorado Red said:
Seriously...if someone in Denver could help me out...give me a shout!
-Mike

Mike - you might want to hook up with Firegod on www.ilovejeeps.com; he is working on about the third-gen design for his rails now, which reminds me I need to get down to Arvada and get mine upgraded. We found that using angle iron on the pinch seam makes the whole assembly a wee bit too flexy. :D

I'm going recommend the ORGS rails as well. They fit great, they do not hang down as far as some rails because you have to notch the pinch seam, and the quality is tops all around.

What made the install most worthwhile is that the first day I had them on some guy opened his door up a little too hard and hit my rail. I had just installed them and had gone to get a coffee, so I got to see it happen. Put a nice dent in his door instead of mine. The look on his face was worth the $350 entrance fee. Off road I have only come down on the driver side rail once (they are 2 weeks old) and it was only scuffed. The rock I came down on would have jacked up my rocker and door for sure.

I had mine welded to the frame, had the supports rosette welded and even had it welded to the pinch seam in a few places. They are not going anywhere.

They are very heavy. Using the old bathroom scale I found them to be around 45 pounds apiece.

Then again, there are lots of good companies out there. You probably cannot go wrong anyways!

Josh H

I'm using Rocky Road Outfitters rails and they work quite well. They will hold the entire weight of the Jeep and then some. They're easy to install; I did it by myself and I'm in a wheelchair! I just got out on the pavement and did it all on my back (I know that one will open me up to a few interesting comments!). The thing that I found so interesting was the instructions. They're very good, but they kept telling me what to do in order to prevent scratching them while installing them; I thought that was the purpose.

Robert

Well I have a lot of shopping to do I guess. Thanks for all the comments. I think I'm leaning toward the ORGS rails. Any comments on the rails sold on Jeepjamboree.com?

Myself and a friend built out rails out of 3x5 tubing his 3/16 mine 1/4 (what we could find in the batgine bin at the metal shop) Capped the ends and cut out the rockers so that they fit just under the doors and cut the rockers out to the pinch seem. welded a few spots along the doors and against the pinch seem. Very solid, 1/4 is too much, my buddies with 3/16 has never hurt them. Mine are too new to tell. But after the SWFWDA meeting Oct 10th to the 12th in Clayton OK I'll let you know more on how they performed if wanted. (SouthWestFourWheelDriveAssoc.)

I couldnt find that web sit but performance off road sells them for $150 and I love mine
706-548-9393 ask for alex he'll shoot you straight

I've been running the Rocky Road rails for a few years now and have been happy with them. I got the step rails so that they stood out a little more to protect the body/doors. I've landed on them hard enough to loosen fillings in my teeth, (or so it seemed at the time) with nothing more to show for it than a little missing paint on the rails.

vintagespeed said:
I built my own out of 2 x 6 x 3/16 tube. 1/4 is a bit overkill IMHO, and heavy. Mine have had the hell bashed out of them on the trails for a couple years and only have some rash to show for it. They stick out far enough to keep from getting into the door unless the rock sticks out & grabs you. Here's a crappy pic of the front of the rail, you can kind of see them here.

http://www.rockxj.com/images/fronttire.jpg

i've got about the same setup. 2x6x3/16" bolted to the pinch seam and to the unirails. even as it is these things are way heavy, not worried at all about a little rock rash on em. heres the pics of mine

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chassellbandit/lst?.dir=/rails2&.view=t

But what do they weigh? We start adding bumpers with 1/4" and maybe a rack...even a roll cage...it starts adding up.
Over 45lbs? I like your set-up, don't get me wrong. Just would like to know more about it...

Rick

Back