• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 issues

gorkoxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a problem with a 1989 2 door XJ Limited I just picked up for parts. When it's in 2WD or 4LO and I turn a hard corner in either direction, the rear wheel chirps on the pavement and it seems to push a lot against the front wheels. It's gets worse if I give her gas, but happens at idle too. I haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet (been raining for a week and no room in the garage) and I'm hoping that someone can give me an idea what is the posible problem and what to check before I start ripping everything apart. In 4WD PT this does this not happen. The axle is a Dana 44 LS with the AW4 trans and 242 T-case. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm at a crossroad on which one I want to fix up. I like the looks of the 2 door and it has the trailer package, but the motor is at 200K miles. It runs alright but a bit rough, has front & rear seal leaks and burns some oil. The interior is a bit rough and it has all the skids. It also has new U-joints, exhaust, trans safety switch and other misc new parts(ones that I happen to need). Rust is not a big issue.

My other is a 1989 4 door Limited with 150K miles. It has a great interior, rebuilt 4.0 with oversize injectors, new rad, etc, but has the D35 LS. It needs the little things like shocks, exhaust, etc. Rust is more of a problem on the doors & fenders. Both Jeeps share the same trans and T-case and are in good shape.

So, in a nut shell, I have all the parts I need to make one good XJ and some spare parts. I hear that the unibody is weaker in the 2 door. Is this a serious concern or just minor. I can always add some metal to stiffen it up if needed. I'm a fairly decent back yard mechanic, so I can go either way. Opinions anyone?

Build the two door.. Never heard the one bout the unibody is weaker in the two door.. Frame stiffs in any XJ is a good thang.

Sounds like someone may have installed a locker in the danna 44.. I would pull the cover and take a look.

Good Luck
Nick

Back