• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0l push rod HELP

slwmotiontracers

NAXJA Forum User
the other day i noticed a knocking in my motor... which sounded like a lifter sticking or something... I took the valve cover off to realize that my #1 cylinder valves had no oil in them, and one of the push rods was bent over, while the other one i could push down where the lifter should be and it was springy. the other push rods were solid, so i have a bent push rod and another that when pushed down to the lifter is springy...

I dont know what to do.?

You need to pull the head and then the lifters from that cylinder and determine the cause of failure. Also check the rocker arms for wear and damage from the pushrods getting bent. It may be gunk in the oil plugged it up or something but these kinds of failures indicate bigger underlying problems. When you get the lifters out from that cylinder take them apart and see why they failed. Also look down at the cam lobe for excessive wear. If the cam lobe is good then I would replace all the lifters and pushrods and have the head surfaced, lap the valves and then you should be O.K. If you find signs of lack of oiling to the head then you need to find out why. It could be the lifter got plugged but could also be something else.

Back