• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help to hot

postal 3

NAXJA Forum User
Ihave a 2000 xj w/4.0 at.4x4 a/c RHD. I deliver mail and it runs too hot I think. I bought a triple threat fan system from ff dynamics for my 2000 Cherokee 4.0L auto 4x4 . I just installed this week end installed it per instructions . It was 84* out side air temp. In about thirty mins. my water temp went to 245*and air intake temp.229* at idle and the motor shut off. Which I feel is to high, all three fans where running, what can I do ? I have replaced the radiator, water pump ,thermostat, upper & lower hoses, new heater hoses and now your fans. On the road it runs 206* water temp air intake temp 188* please help I deliver mail in it and idle a lot .

mileage? poss have some one use a HC sniffer to check the coolant for products of combustion. Blown head gasket?? should be able to idle without getting that hot. Didn't some of the newer XJ's have a problem with head warpage??

have you done a full tune up lately? what about the o2 sensor? heater valve?

you have a set route, have you noticed it burning a lot of gas lately?
hood vents will work, but it sounds like youve got a core issue that needs fixin.

You may have bubble(s) in your coolant. I recently had the same problem and that is what it turned out to be. I replaced thermostat, fan clutch,and water pump all to no avail, and my radiator (a three core CSF) was only six months into useage. I took the radiator cap off and let it idle. After a half hour the coolant level suddenly dropped a few inches as a big bubble was released. The relay driven fan kicked on at the same time but I don't know whether that was just coincidence or not. At any rate, that burping of the coolant fixed the problem and now I'm running 210 degrees.

Try it, and just give it plenty of time. Like I said it took me half hour for the big bubble to release even though I was getting small bubbles to come up right away. It may take longer, but its a cheap fix.

I haven't done a tuneup lately, I put new plugs about six months ago and air filter. I also have a hot start problem, it misses for a few seconds when first start after driving and letting set for five to ten mins.

Back