• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New AC compressor install question

chris9911

NAXJA Forum User
I received and installed remanufactured AC compressor for my 1996 cherokee sport. It came with a little bottle of PAG100 Synthetic refrigerant oil, but no instruction on what i'm suppose to do with it. I get to service shop to have freon put in and I showed him a little bottle that came with my AC compressor. He told me I have to put that oil into the compressor before being charged. This raises two questions for me:

1. What/how am I suppose to do with the 8oz of Synthetic Refrigerant oil? Do I just pour it down both fittings till it starts overflowing? Do I swoosh it around after it goes in?

2. Will I need a new Dryer again? It was assembled Saturday afternoon, earliest the car will be ready is Monday or Tuesday. I say tuesday because my rusted brakeline finally blew and I probably shouln'd be driving for a $25 dryer part :rolleyes:

Does your mech do a/c alot. there is more to it.. yes that oil needs to go in. pour it into the compressor directly then when all reassembled spin the hub a bunch of times. Then off to the mech. Is he doing this by hand or does he have the a/c machine(so much easier) The machine will evac the system taking out the oil. Then he will need to put a vac on the system that will draw out all moisture. Then let it sit for a while with the gauges still hooked up to make sure there are no leaks. If using machine it will put the oil and freon into the system with a flick of a switch. If doing by hand you will need to disconnect the yellow service hose on the manifold gauge from the vac and attach your new oil cans. The vacuum that was created by, well the vac, will suck the oil into the system. Once the oil is in repeat the same steps with the freon. Then start the jeep and turn on the a/c with the manifold gauges still attached to make sure the system is full by pressure on the gauges.

wow that was alot off run on sentences...lol

I'm assuming he has a machine for this, its getting done ad Midas. I already installed the new compressor back in and connected everything up. Do I need to take it out again so I can pour some oil in while holding it upright? Do I pour the whole thing in or until it overflows? Is it safe to leave all the oil in the system, or do I have to spill it out after spinning the shaft several times?

Where they will be taking it back out as part of the process i wouldn't worry bout putting it all in then emptying it back out, the machine will remove it. Most if not all compressors come/shipped "dry", except for a bit of assembly lube. So You will need to put some directly into the compressor to give it a little lubrication. But you can just take off one of the hoses at the compressor and pour it in there you do not need to take the whole unit back off again, as long as your hoses are on the top of the compressor that is.

Thanks. I think I'll connect a hose to both entry points and pour some of the stuff in there. I'm not sure if the machine will remove everything because this is what I've done so far:
1. Drove jeep to Midas for Evac & charge (just the evac portion)
2. Drove jeep home to install new compressor and new drier.
3. Drove jeep back to Midas for Evac & charge (charge portion)
4. Technician told me I need to take out the compressor and use the oil per manufacture spec while the compressor is upright. He also said I need a brand new drier now, since its been exposed to air too long.
5. Since I can't find what this manufacture spec is, and my Ebay supplier has no clue what I'm talking about, I'm on this forum looking for guidance.

Back