• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Swap

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to the CARS program I now have a reason to get an XJ with power windows, power locks, cruise control, and AIR CONDITIONING!

Jeepswap1.jpg

I found a 97 XJ Country for $2,900, and I'm now in the process of swapping all of my stuff over. Here's the list, I've added some detail in parentheses so you know why I'm swapping instead of just starting over:

Axles (ARBs, 4.56s)
Air Compressor
Overhead console
CB
Lift? (currently 4.5" RE coils, drop brackets & LCAs, "custom" leafs and RE shackle)
Bumpers
Transmission/Transfer case skid
Rock rails
Transfer case (SYE Installed)
Headlight harness (10AWG)
Headlights (Silverstars)
FitchBox(tm)
Misc Lights
Quarter panel armour
LED tail lights

As you can see, this is quite an undertaking. After day 1 we've got 90% of the tear down done. But now I have problems, and I have started to question how I'm going to re-build my Jeep.

1. Should I finally upgrade to a TNT Customs long arm? Is the TNT the best solution for me?
2. My old jeep's "frame" is smoked. Is it finally time for frame stiffeners? Who has the best frame stiffeners?
3. The transfer case is out anyway, so maybe it's time for a TeraLow kit
4. The heat from the Hurculined floor sucked. Is ceramic paint and Rhinoline/Spyder lining worth it?
5. Is it time to change out those drum brakes for some disks?
6. Since the steering and axle is disconnected, is it time to chance out those D30 knuckles with WJ knuckles? Do I really want to go through all of that pain?

Ugh, just when you think you have a plan, more questions come up than the plan answered!

1. TNT is only one of many companies that make a long arm, TREKS, Rockkrawler, Clayton.
2. Easy answer yes and hdoffroad who's a member here has kit to plate frame front to back.
3. If it's a DD I might suggest avoiding the teralow as I've heard alot of people complaining about the noise they make even in 2wd.
4. My floors are herc'd and don't have any heat problems so no advice here.
5. I'd swap to disks and the MC/booster upgrade as well.
6. Depends on the way you wheel but I'd probably go with an OTK kit.

Way to go Jim. I knew that you would get ride of the killer Jeep. She knew it also. That is why it tried to kill us.

By the way look at what I found.
http://good2go.316design.com/jeep-xj-suspension/rubicon-express-xjla-upgrade-kit/

It does have a crossmember. I don't think it is a full belly pan like TNT.
RE9920 3- piece crossmember (crossmember, 2-control arm mounts, 2-side braces, 2-bolting strips, 4-PEM nut strips[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman], [/FONT][/FONT]transmission adapter bracket, hardware)

Culp

Thanks to the CARS program I now have a reason to get an XJ with power windows, power locks, cruise control, and AIR CONDITIONING!

1. Should I finally upgrade to a TNT Customs long arm? Is the TNT the best solution for me?
2. My old jeep's "frame" is smoked. Is it finally time for frame stiffeners? Who has the best frame stiffeners?
3. The transfer case is out anyway, so maybe it's time for a TeraLow kit
4. The heat from the Hurculined floor sucked. Is ceramic paint and Rhinoline/Spyder lining worth it?
5. Is it time to change out those drum brakes for some disks?
6. Since the steering and axle is disconnected, is it time to chance out those D30 knuckles with WJ knuckles? Do I really want to go through all of that pain?

1. I like my TNT/Treks kit, its a pretty good upgrade.
2. YES do stiffeners, I have the HDOffroad ones, and they have worked out very well... whether you get those or Ruffstuff's or treks. just get some.
3. like said before, if its a DD, then i wouldnt but just my .02...
4. with many things, you get what you pay for.
5. absolutely
6. no help here... i dont know what your pain tolerance is

Way to go Jim. I knew that you would get ride of the killer Jeep. She knew it also. That is why it tried to kill us.

By the way look at what I found.
http://good2go.316design.com/jeep-xj-suspension/rubicon-express-xjla-upgrade-kit/

It does have a crossmember. I don't think it is a full belly pan like TNT.
RE9920 3- piece crossmember (crossmember, 2-control arm mounts, 2-side braces, 2-bolting strips, 4-PEM nut strips[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman], [/FONT][/FONT]transmission adapter bracket, hardware)

Culp

Yeah, John's Rubi has a 3 piece crossmember. I just really like the idea of a full belly pan.

Dave - Thanks for the input.

dave92cherokee said:
1. TNT is only one of many companies that make a long arm, TREKS, Rockkrawler, Clayton.

It was a toss up between Clayton and TnT. The belly pan is what's really edging Clayton out.

dave92cherokee said:
2. Easy answer yes and hdoffroad who's a member here has kit to plate frame front to back.

HDOffroad is definately on the short list.

dave92cherokee said:
3. If it's a DD I might suggest avoiding the teralow as I've heard alot of people complaining about the noise they make even in 2wd.

Admitedly I've done zero research on this topic yet. Thanks for the heads up.

dave92cherokee said:
5. I'd swap to disks and the MC/booster upgrade as well.

I'm pretty sure this is N/A for 97+ XJs

dgrigorenko -

dgrigorenko said:
1. I like my TNT/Treks kit, its a pretty good upgrade.
2. YES do stiffeners, I have the HDOffroad ones, and they have worked out very well... whether you get those or Ruffstuff's or treks. just get some.

Knowing now what you didn't know then, would you do TnT LA and the HDOffroad stiffeners, or would you have gone another route?

Sorry not to answer the questons your build kills mine... But where did u get your rear quarter armor ? Ive been building my rig and nbeed rear armor and love the way yours looks

Knowing now what you didn't know then, would you do TnT LA and the HDOffroad stiffeners, or would you have gone another route?

for the money i wouldnt do anything different. you do have to notch out a bit in the stiffener for the third bolt, but no biggie.

Sorry not to answer the questons your build kills mine... But where did u get your rear quarter armor ? Ive been building my rig and nbeed rear armor and love the way yours looks

A guy on a local board made them. I'd make them a bit differently though. There is a big space between the quarter guard and the rear bumper, and the area where the lights go are not boxed in, so when I hit it, it pushed in a little.

What would you have done if you had more cash? RuffStuff stiffeners?

if i had the cash i would probably have gone with a complete FullTraction LA setup with The HDO stiffeners. FullTraction because it is a true 4-link, and i am looking at getting into more go-fast stuff. and HDO stiffeners because i think that the 10Ga is a great comprimise to strength and weight, and they have the ajoining stiffening peices. not to down RuffStuffs product by any means, without a doubt it is a super beefy, well made peice, i just wasnt looking to add too much weight.... and the price was right:laugh3:. either way you go, dont forget to plate the front as well with either TMR or HDO, or your own, that is a crucial area that often gets missed.

Ok, so the "old" XJ is almost ready to get back on the street. The "new" XJ's stage 1 build sheet is done:

TnT Long Arm
HD Offroad Shackle Relocation
HD Offroad front stiffener
RuffStuff Stiffeners
C-Rock inside Steering Box reinforcement

Unfortunately my master plan to get $4,500 for the XJ will end up only being $3,500.

Is it only 3500 cuz of the vehicle you are wanting to buy?

Correct. It gets 23mpg, we are rated at 15mpg.

I've gone through many cars (on paper) to figure out what the best car/deal combination is for me.

What did you settle on, also did you ever get your back yard done? I would like to see some pics of the back yard when done.

Culp

I'm actually a little embarrased to say on this forum what I'm getting.

The backyard is stalled. I called the concrete guy, so hopefully I can get him started in the next few weeks.

How's the left coast?

It is ok. I am still checking in. I go to Pensacola for a week in Sept. for 3 months. We (wife and I) have seen and done alot. The biggest problem is that there is a drought. And they have no rivers. And Arnold has a tax on everything. A 24 pack of water is a $1.20 more then the price (an extra 5 cents on every bottle). And what the hell, I still have to pass the hardest smog test. But from the emails that I get from Q-towns mass notification system it has been 90+ every day for a week. So I left at the right time.

Culp

Back