• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing brake line 96 xj

chris9911

NAXJA Forum User
I searched all the related threads and I still have some questions before tackling this task.

I'm plannning a getting a 25' roll of 3/16" diameter. These tubes seem to be available everywhere, but where can I find all the replacement fittings? I found this at jcwhitney, which one should I get? Any other thoughts on finding all the fittings?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Brake-Hoses-Lines/GP_2018113_N_111+10201+600015918_10101.jcw

3/16" Zinc Plated Brake Line Restoration Kit for American VehiclesZX367873Kit$36.41
$21.99
You Save:
$14.42 In Stock. Ships in 24 hours
trans.gif;pvf77f23b85f2082b6
3/16" x 25' Zinc Plated Brake Line for American, European, Japanese and British VehiclesZX367871Each$21.41
$12.99
You Save:
$8.42 In Stock. Ships in 24 hours

You might just check a local auto parts store. They usually have little drawers full of fittings. If you're doing the whole kaboodle, you can also probably reuse some of the fittings, such as the ones up at the master cylinder and proportioning valve, which are not usually that rusty and goobed up. The fittings only hold the flares down, so they need not be fluid tight or pretty as long as the hex heads are in good shape.

I presume you are going to get, or already have, the correct double flaring tool. If this work is new to you, I strongly suggest that before you get too deep into the project, you take some of the spare tubing, or some of the old stuff you've removed, and practice. It can take a while to get those things consistently right.

I also suggest that if you live in rust country and expect to keep your Jeep a long time, get a couple of splicing connectors and install the long rear line in several sections of a fairly standard length, with the first splice somewhere near the base of the firewall run, just before it levels off along the frame. That way if you have to do it again, you need only to replace one section at a time. (edit to add...) Similarly, it's a good idea to put a splice in the line that goes to the right hand caliper, just inside the engine bay. The connectors are brass, and they'll come apart well even when the rest of the system is totally trashed. The female to female double flare fittings are, as far as I know, 100 percent legal (unlike compression rings), and safe.

P.s. I have an 88 pickup truck that blows brake lines. I finally got so tired of routing lines down under the engine, through the grease and rust and mud to the right hand caliper that I routed it over the top by the radiator.

Last edited:
Those brass fittings you speak of are called unions also you can buy poly steel compression fittings these are not made of brass and will pass inspection only place that sells them around here is napa.They are part # 7305x3 for 3\16 brake line

the NAPA eaton/weatherhead compression fitting # 7305X3 will not fail in a brakeline application. they will withstand a lot more pressure than you could ever produce in a brake system. this is where i work, i run the shop and make about 95% of the hose assemblies. http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/SearchResults/index.htm?ssUserText=napa

To learn more, contact:
Adam Cornell
Eaton Corporation
Fluid Power Group
Hydraulics Operations
14615 Lone Oak Road
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
(952) 236-0309
[email protected]

Eaton corpora tion
CUSTOMER FOCUS
NAPA Store Is Champ in Eaton Weatherhead
Sales
"Key to a growing business
is taking a look at what the
competition doesn’t offer,
but is needed by customers.
When you have what
customers need and take
care of them, they will keep
coming back."
Lon Chester, NAPA store owner,
NAPA AUTO PARTS
Customer
NAPA AUTO PARTS
Portage, Wisconsin
Markets Served
Agriculture, Automotive,
Commercial, Construction,
Heavy-duty Truck, Industrial
and Specialty
Background
Flip through Eaton's Weatherhead
®

product catalogs and
you’ll see thousands of fluid
conveyance products. Counter
salesmen at the NAPA AUTO
PARTS store in Portage, Wisconsin
don’t need to reference
catalogs much. A walk over
to the shelf will do. That’s
because the Portage NAPA
store stocks just about every
part number in the Weatherhead
line.
As a result, customers know
the South Central Wisconsin
store is their sure-to-have-it
source for fluid conveyance
products when they need
them most.
The store’s beefy inventory
has made it a champ among
NAPA stores. The Portage
store is among the top five
NAPA stores in Weatherhead
sales in the Central U.S. and
ranks 13th nationwide.
Challenge
The supply house is a venerable
institution in Portage.
Around town since 1917, it
has been a NAPA store since
1934. Lon Chester took over
the reins as owner in 1981.
"Strong customer allegiance
requires stocked shelves,"
Chester says.
“We can’t sell what we don’t
have in stock,” says Chester,
whose longtime involvement
in the family-owned business
makes him well-suited for the
leading role position.
“However, an extensive product
inventory requires a hefty
investment.”
Stocking all that Weatherhead
has to offer also requires
keeping abreast of new product
offerings and knowledge
about them.
“The Weatherhead line has
a very broad selection, but
new products are being added
all the time,” Chester says.
“Since the line is constantly
evolving, it requires constant
attention.”
Solution
The Portage NAPA store
stocks over $250,000 of
Weatherhead products,
including hose and fitting
sizes not normally carried by
competitors.
Eaton Corporation is a diversified industrial manufacturer with 2006 sales of $12.4 billion. Eaton is a global leader in electrical systems and components for power quality,
distribution and control; fluid power systems and services for industrial, mobile and aircraft equipment; intelligent truck drivetrain systems for safety and fuel economy;
and automotive engine air management systems, powertrain solutions and specialty controls for performance, fuel economy and safety. Eaton has 63,000 employees
and sells products to customers in more than 140 countries. For more information,

visit www.eaton.com Doc. No. W-HYHI-MS001-E
“Key to a growing business
is taking a look at what the
competition doesn’t offer,
but is needed by customers,”
Chester says.
“Most area hose sources only
make up to ½-inch or 1-inch diameter
hose assemblies. We
carry assemblies up to four
inches in diameter that are
commonly needed by contractor,
commercial, agriculture,
specialty and industrial plant
accounts.
“When you have what customers
need and take care of
them, they will keep coming
back.”
Paying attention to the industry
trend in which hydraulics
is taking over engine rebuilds
has also paid off. Once
heavily involved in rebuilding
engines, the store’s machine
shop is now more focused on
building hydraulic systems for
industrial customers that far
outpace automotive accounts.
Results
Judging by the fact that
Weatherhead product sales
at the Portage NAPA store
average between $20,000 and
$25,000 each month, customers
are indeed coming back
again and again. The dollar
figure includes over a mile of
hose and tubing products that
go out the door every 30 days.
That’s big business in a town
with a population of only
10,000 people. However, the
store’s service area is much
broader. Not worrying whether
or not their Weatherhead
product needs will be in stock,
customers come from as far
away as 40 miles. Other NAPA
stores call on the Portage
store too when their inventory
needs quick replenishing.
“Price is of little consideration
when hose is needed now,”
Chester says. “Availability is
number one in this business.”
The Portage store is licensed
and certified by the U.S.
Department of Transportation
to build custom brake hose
assemblies.
"Availability is number
one in this business."
Lon Chester, NAPA store owner,
NAPA AUTO PARTS

Stock shelves and Weatherhead cabinets keep customers coming back to the Portage, WI NAPA Store.

The Eaton 7305X3 in 3/16" is rated to a max pressure of 9000 psi with no safety factor. There is a procedure for installing them correctly to achieve that rating which must be followed. We use similar fittings for hydraulic lines for heavy walled tubing which can not be easily flared. The key here is that the fittings are rated for the pressure. I'm more worried about the yokel that grabs compression fittings from the plumbing section which will fail around 700-1000 psi or right about the time you mash the brakes hard in a panic stop.

I think that particular fitting probably would be fine for this application. Personally, I would rather do a properly flared fitting as its more reliable even if it takes a few more minutes to implement. A short section of tube and a pair of these fittings might be a nice addition to the emergency toolkit in the car.

Some states prohibit compression fittings regardless of ratings, as its near impossible to tell if the fitting is properly rated they simply ban them. Auto shops and safety inspections might red flag you if they see them.

Even if compression fittings of some type are permissible, I'd stick to flare unions, if only for the reason that using these guarantees that you can later repair a section of line easily with standard tubing lengths and no cutting.

i agree that a compression fitting of any kind on a brake system should be a temporary repair until the line can be fixed correctly.

You would be way better off to just buy pre-made lines!

Home Depot has a flaring tool for like $25 if you end up needing one - handles small trade sizes of most soft metals (copper, aluminum, brass, and mild steel + brake lines I have tested)

Remember to buy extra fittings... I had to walk back to autozone to pick up more after I realized I didn't have enough halfway through the job. The pre-made sections of line seem to be much thicker walled than the OEM tubing btw, which is good. I find that cutting the old line out in sections and using it as a jig to form the new line against produces very neat results.

Home Depot has a flaring tool for like $25 if you end up needing one - handles small trade sizes of most soft metals (copper, aluminum, brass, and mild steel + brake lines I have tested)

Remember to buy extra fittings... I had to walk back to autozone to pick up more after I realized I didn't have enough halfway through the job. The pre-made sections of line seem to be much thicker walled than the OEM tubing btw, which is good. I find that cutting the old line out in sections and using it as a jig to form the new line against produces very neat results.
Is that a double flaring tool? If so, that's great, but if not, don't use it on brakes. Yeah, I know, some people have gotten away with it, but brakes really want a proper double flare, and it's a special flare you cannot make with a regular tool. Not only the surface, but the angle of the flare is different. The correct tools are not terribly expensive, and with practice you can make a good safe flare, and then you'll have a useful skill forever (and of course you'll have the correct tool in your kit forever too).

For myself, I think I'd try to use standard lengths of line as much as possible, especially for the most vulnerable lines. Subsequent replacement is then plug and play.

OK to clear the fitting thing up. Last I knew the compression fittings are illegal to use in brake systems in all 50 states as far as a legal inspection is concerned. So in my book just do it right. If you need to join to pieces put the fitting on then double flare the end and use a threaded union. I do not care how much pressure they say a compression fitting can take, I have had one fail and I installed it correctly. Only in an emergency can I see using one of these on a brake line and would get it repaired as soon as emergency is over. Hope this helped a little. These are my opinions so take them as they are or leave them but I will not debate them.

As already stated brass compression fittings are illegal you can now buy steel compression fittings that will pass inspection.

As already stated brass compression fittings are illegal you can now buy steel compression fittings that will pass inspection.
While I think that's potentially useful for a spot repair, I still don't think it makes sense to start with this if you're doing the whole system. Better to start with what's legal everywhere and obtainable anywhere.

Back