• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff gasket ????

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have always used just RTV to make the seal but I have a gasket on hand, Do I still need to use silicone with the gasket or just put in the gasket? I know what a basic question but don't want to have to take it apart later.

I don't use sealer on "maintenance" gaskets (axle covers, auto transmission pans, and anything else that gets removed regularly.) Not using RTV makes it easier to clean everything, and if you install the paper (axles) or cork (transmission) gasket correctly, it will soak up, swell up, and seal properly.

Just be careful you don't overtorque - it's not such a problem with paper gaskets, but cork and rubber gaskets can be crushed beyond usefulness.

I always use Indian head gasket shellac gasket adhesieve on paper gaskets.

I agree with previous...if it's a gasket to be removed/replaced, then paper is fine. For gaskets that aren't removed often...try "the right stuff"...it seals nicely!

You can use just the paper gasket, or you can use the gasket plus RTV. Works either way...

Back