• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 hard to shift from 4 to 3 gear

Oseberg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi .
Europe calling :listenmus

Installed an remanufactured AX 15 for 2 month's ago. Starts to be difficult to gear down from 4-3 gear. A little more noisy too. Going from 2'nd to 3'rd is no problem.

Using regular 10w-30 mineral oil.

What shall I do?

Since the transmission is remanufactured... and it has only been 2 months.. then there could be a problem with the transmission, throwout bearing or release hydraulics....
If you had a shop do the transmission replacement; then I would bring the Jeep in for troubleshooting....

Have you read the debates about the type of gear lubes to be used in the AX-15?
Basically you should use a GL3 or 4 rated lubricant....
As for myself... I use Redline MT-90 synthetic...

Since the transmission is remanufactured... and it has only been 2 months.. then there could be a problem with the transmission, throwout bearing or release hydraulics....
If you had a shop do the transmission replacement; then I would bring the Jeep in for troubleshooting....

Have you read the debates about the type of gear lubes to be used in the AX-15?
Basically you should use a GL3 or 4 rated lubricant....
As for myself... I use Redline MT-90 synthetic...

1'st : Bought it from US (I'm in Europe)
2.nd: It was labelled to use the 10w-30. No GL3 over here.
3'rd: Throw out bearing...that's the part name?

...,Using regular 10w-30 mineral oil,...
Do you mean 10-30 in the transmission? That's wrong.

I don't have a factory service manual, but my Haynes manual lists SAE 75W-90 GL-5

Do you mean 10-30 in the transmission? That's wrong.

I don't have a factory service manual, but my Haynes manual lists SAE 75W-90 GL-5

Sorry to tell you, but service manual is wrong(there was an error). That has been known for years. GL5 is a "nada" thing. They ment GL3. Today, they reccomend worlwide 10w-30. And the instruction from the re-man supplier label witch told 10w-30.

The Throwout bearing is what the clutch disc rides on when you push in the clutch pedal.... The hydraulics are what allows you the move the TO bearing when shifting gears..... Just to clarify what I previously posted.....
IF the hydraulic slave cylinder is not fully releasing the clutch then you will grind between gears....
Just check to ensure they are operating properly.... If they are... then I would consider changing to a synthetic gear lube....

I have heard that some manufacturers are recommending the 10W/30 lubricants..., but I think the viscosity weight is too light....
Yeah the factory service manuals had an error in them.... Even my FSM for my 98 purchased in 98 has that typo.....
The Redline MT90 synthetic has worked the best for me.... Just a matter of choice.....

Sorry to tell you, but service manual is wrong(there was an error). That has been known for years. GL5 is a "nada" thing. They meant GL3. Today, they recommend worldwide 10w-30. And the instruction from the re-man supplier label which told 10w-30.
No need to apologize. My bad.

The Throwout bearing is what the clutch disc rides on when you push in the clutch pedal.... The hydraulics are what allows you the move the TO bearing when shifting gears..... Just to clarify what I previously posted.....
IF the hydraulic slave cylinder is not fully releasing the clutch then you will grind between gears....
Just check to ensure they are operating properly.... If they are... then I would consider changing to a synthetic gear lube....
If what you're saying is the problem, then it would be hard to shift into any gear wether it be up shifting or down shifting. It would not just be 4-3 only
.... And the clutch does NOT ride on the throw-out bearing. The throw-out bearing rides on the fingers of the clutch pressure plate, and depresses the fingers on the pressure plate to release clutch pressure.

It sounds to me like either the synchronizer is worn out or installed improperly OR maybe you are downshifting at a speed which is too high for 3rd gear usage. How fast are you going when it's hard to shift from 4-3?

.... And the clutch does NOT ride on the throw-out bearing. The throw-out bearing rides on the fingers of the clutch pressure plate, and depresses the fingers on the pressure plate to release clutch pressure.

Agree

It sounds to me like either the synchronizer is worn out or installed improperly OR maybe you are downshifting at a speed which is too high for 3rd gear usage. How fast are you going when it's hard to shift from 4-3?

I'm i.e cruising in 40 miles/h(70 km/h) than chifts down....and 3'rd is blocked. Not a chance to get engaged. Must trow it in 2'nd(with clutch in) and than 3'rd.

Back