• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ gauge cluster question!!!

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
looking to replace the dummy light cluster to a regular one.is their anything i need, or is it difficult? anything helps. I tried searching, but couldn't find the answer that i was looking for.:doh:

Surprising that you cant find any info on this modification.... Its a quite common swap for used XJ owners....
Almost 10 years ago I swapped the cluster in my 98....
I posted the steps that are required...., but I guess it has been deleted from the system....

Kind of depends upon what year XJ you have.... IF you have a 97 XJ... then you will require a 97 XJ cluster.... There is a slight difference in the pinout electrical for the two bus connectors that the cluster snaps into....
If you use a 97 in a 98 or newer... you will receive strange indications on the cluster...
Just purchase a cluster from a 98-01 TJ or XJ and install it....
Basically it is a plug and play for the 98 and newer XJs... No sensors or additional electrical connections are required....

You will need to remove the kick panel below the steering wheel, remove the bezel covering the radio/climate controls, remove the knob from the headlight switch unless you can squeeze the know thru the hole, and then unscrew the cluster and swap the cluster.... Would recommend you disconnect the negative cable on the battery... just to be safe...
Reassemble in reverse order....

Clusters are available on Ebay..... for $30-75.....

There's a small button on the headlight switch. You have to reach under the dash, press the button, and pull out the knob and shaft.

There's a button on it. I just pulled the bezel over the knob when I swapped my cluster. It wasn't super hard with the headlight knob pulled out. Getting it back on was a bit more difficult, but not horrible.

Once you have the kick panel off, I *think* you can use a screw driver to depress the button on the side of the switch assembly to get the knob off. I know my Haynes describes it, or you can search for "headlight switch removal", and probably will find it.

There's a small button on the headlight switch. You have to reach under the dash, press the button, and pull out the knob and shaft.

I have had my cluster out and back in close to a dozen times due to the problems of oxidizing of the bus connector and cluster pins...
The button can be reached fairly easy; depending upon the size of your hands....
Shine a flashlight at the switch and you can see a small blueish colored button.... which is on the inward side of the switch body.....

Last edited:
FYI, the mileage is stored in the cluster, not the computer. So whatever the new cluster reads is what your Jeep is gonna say. You can have it matched to your old one at a speedo shop; but that will usually run a couple hundred bucks. Really only worth it if you sprang for a brand new cluster.

FYI, the mileage is stored in the cluster, not the computer. So whatever the new cluster reads is what your Jeep is gonna say. You can have it matched to your old one at a speedo shop; but that will usually run a couple hundred bucks. Really only worth it if you sprang for a brand new cluster.

oh dang that sucks! well at least the new one has a little bit less miles then my jeep. it would be bad if it had allot more.Also i cant handle the dummy light thing its a pain in the ass not knowing how hot your running or what the oil pressure is at.LoL

Back