• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable MAP sensor

i was discussing the Adjustable MAP priniple with a friend.

Ok ,, so,, if you put in a cooler thermostat , lile 180, 160 degrees ,, the fuel mixture will remain too "rich" ( higher fuel to air ratio) because the ECU will think the engine is still cool.:shiver:. therefore the plugs will foul faster and the fuel economy suffers..

However,,, if you adjust the MAP to run "lean" (higher air to fuel ratio) , then you can run the cooler thermostats with out fouling the plugs and keeping the fuel economy from suffering.

Well, thats the theroy , anyway:idea:

Does that sound right, or reasonable to you??

Sounds right. But the cat might not be hot enough to function properly and cause the engine to adjust the air/fuel mixture in the opposite direction you set it at. But theres only 1 way to find out, do it. But I haven't because I'm not running lean yet, like I said above.

how would I know if my car was running lean or rich ?
all I know is that i have very little carbon in my muffler tip , I think this is a good sign ?

I have been running one in my 90 for a couple of years (5). It has been a god send for passing DEQ. I replaced my stock injectors after 150K and was running about 5.45V to pass DEQ with my Borla exhaust system, head to tail. When I put new injectors in, I had to adjust to 4.34V and use hotter plugs, Splitfires, to pass. My Jeep never ran this good new!

karim_gabra said:
how would I know if my car was running lean or rich ?
all I know is that i have very little carbon in my muffler tip , I think this is a good sign ?

i would guess that a clean tail pipe is a good thing too :)

Possibly also, by looking at the condition of the spark plugs.

There is a chart with pictures in all "Hayes" manuals that show spark plug conditions and what they mean. ;)

Very hard to tell via the exhaust now a days with lead free petrol. Was so much easier just looking for the right shade of grey before. ;)
I use a wideband o2 sensor and digital display that I borrow from a mates workshop.

Back