• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a/c issues- searched

comrad_zeelaagee

NAXJA Forum User
i did search the topic but found no relevant threads to my problem.

issue: my a/c does not blow cold air even though i've charged it well and good. model year '00.

symptoms: warmish air, a cycling effect to the compressor- it comes on then off, on then off accompanied with sort of a droning sound in low pitch in intervals of 10 seconds or so, fully pressurised system according to the gague. 134 refrig. will blow cold after an almost overfilled charge but quickly dwindle in temp.

possible releveant issues: CEL reading evap leak (i know it has to do with the fuel system (but ya' never know- another post- another time).

possibilities: bad compressor, leak (not likely- has held a good charge for a while)

help appreciated.

thanks,
andy

What year? What are your pressures on the high and low sides? Does the tube going to the evaporator get frosty? If you are pulling a code for evap leak, could that be the evaporator in the HVAC system? I am surprised the computer could pick that up. Why do you think evap leak is the fuel system?

"evap leak" is related to your emissions system. as far as the a/c, it may be overcharged. the a/c sysem only holds 1.25 pounds of freon. my best guess though is the evaporator core is leaking in he dash.

The "Evap Leak" is your evaporative cannister. It's part of your emissions systems. Codes could reveal a small or large leak. Small leaks can occur when you don't tighten the gas cap enough or it's bad. Large leaks generally indicate a leak in one of the lines. It has nothing to do with the AC.

You certainly may have overcharged it or you may have an issue with one of the pressure cycling switches (another common ailment). You should use a full set of manifold gauges to check both high and low pressures while the system is running and cycling. The ones on the recharge kits are junk.

this just happened to me,........turn your a/c on max then pop the hood let it run for a couple minutes look at the firewall where the ac lines connect to the condenser [the small aluminum block with a check valve] anyway is it covered in ice? if so then its needs replaced its a 30-40 dollar part brand new....you might be sable to take your chances at the local P/A but i dont recommend it.

anyway hope that helps.......

-Shane

If you want to learn about AC diagnosis check out this forum:

www.ackits.com

and buy an AC gauge set at www.harburfreight.com for about $37, so you can get real time data. You will need a multi meter too for electrical testing, like pressure switches.
Otherwise take it to an ac shop for diagnosis.

Back