• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild 260x Axle Joints

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I have the opportunity to snag some spare axle shafts for $0. Catch is one (passenger) has a stiff u-joint and needs to be re-built. I've re-built driveshaft u-joints numerous times, but can't figure how the axle shaft joints come apart? I don't see a retainer ring or anything else to keep the caps in.

Axles are from an '88 XJ. My Jeep is an '89...so should be a direct fit.

Do the joints just press apart...held in by friction alone? Anyone got some simple advice for replacing the u-joint?

I'd like to re-build them and install them...use my existing (tired) joints as spares.

Thanks in advance!

should this "ring" be visible out the outside of the joint...like with a driveshaft u-joint? There's no visible ring on mine...and i've cleaned it up! Seems like the cap is pressed into the yoke...with nothing to keep it centered!

There is a C clip on the inside of the yoke. Opposite end of the cap than a drive line.
Drive line clips are external.
Axles are internal
Hope this helps

Back