• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't find OSS Short.

DunkinDeezNutz

NAXJA Forum User
98 sport/4.0/aw4. Trans started acting up alittle while ago, It does not downshift properly when cruising around 40mph approaching hills. I have to either mash the pedal to the floor or manually downshift to 3rd. I had a previous check engine light from a bad o2 sensor, once I replaced that and hooked up the scan tool to clear the codes I found a P072 low output speed. In the diagnostics I have input but 0 output. I removed the oss and tested resistance and it is good. I then inspected the wires all the way up to the engine comtpartment and see no damage. I also tested the signal and ground circuit in the white connector to the PCM per alldata's flow chart and I'm getting less than 5 ohms. Then two days ago leaving work I had a crank no start for about 5 mins similiar to a bad CPS and that hasn't acted up again. Is my PCM starting to go bad? I'm not that great with electrical so any help would be greatly appreciated. Im so damn frustrated!:doh:
p.s. Alldata says the OSS has no driveability effects so whats up with the trans?

out put sensor and input sensor work together to help calculate what gear your in by the ratio. sometimes we replace both sensors on the trans when we have a ratio error code in the tcm. the tcm is separate from the pcm on aw4 jeeps. you may want to read the codes in the tcm first.

There really isn't much to go wrong with the two speed sensors in the tranny. They're basically just a coil. If its upshifting at all, then the output speed sensor is working. Your symptoms of not downshifting point to a bad throttle position sensor (TPS) which may not throw a check engine code and is a far more common problem. Internally, the TPS is basically like a volume knob and they do wear out and get dead spots.

Back