• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Erratic idle and stalling problems.

EpiK XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought an 89 Cherokee Laredo, L6 4.0 and since I bought it I've been replacing things left and right. I've sunk about $2,000 in suspension, tires, plugs, cables, tre's, shocks, brakes, and little interior things. all the things you replace when you get a new rig, and ever since I replaced the wires and fuel filter I started having overheating problems, so i replaced my thermo and water pump. that didn't fix it, to i filed down the top of the reservoir and wrapped the threads with some duct tape and threw a new cap on there. problem solved. so now when im cruising down the road, out of the blue, the tach starts jumping up and down extremely erratically. causing the engine to bog down and back fire, and if i try to give it gas, it just jumps worse and backfires more, so then i have to pull over and shut it off then sometimes if im lucky it starts to work fine again, i paid aamco $160 to do a OBD and they said it was the TPS, so they replaced it and it didn't fix a darn thing, so now im out $160 and it also idles really low some times and it will even die if i don't give it gas at a stop sign or something. i was under the hood today and i noticed the egr valve had a broken nipple where the vacuum line goes and it wasn't connected. my friend said that could simply be the problem, another friend said that since i have no cat converter cause i have straight pipe to a flow-master super 40, that a sensor might be missing and causing the problem, but it wasn't doing this when i bought it, and the guy before me did the exhaust, sorry if im just blabbering but im tired and i reallly need to get this fixed and im tired of not knowing. any

Do you have a volt meter? If so, start by checking the TPS to make sure that it is adjusted properly. This link will help with that: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm After that, then start checking other sensors. The IAC may also be giving you problems check it with the instructions on that site also.

Disconnecting the vac line on the EGR is OK as long as it is plugged off at the manifold, and if plugged it would not cause your problems.

Back