• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ tow issue

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
have a 99 xj with a 5.5 Re short arm lift and when i tow it on dirt roads and turn the wheels will not track I have to get out and turn the steering wheel..When i had a RE 4.5 kit on it I had no problems anyone have the same problem or any ideas?

Do you have drop brackets as part of the lift?

I do have drop brackets and only a locker in the rear. I know my tow is correct maybe i need some adjustable drop arms that i havent got around to buying yet...

have a 99 xj with a 5.5 Re short arm lift and when i tow it on dirt roads and turn the wheels will not track I have to get out and turn the steering wheel..When i had a RE 4.5 kit on it I had no problems anyone have the same problem or any ideas?

1. Stupid question time. Is the steering wheel unlocked? Transfer case in neutral and transmission in park?

2. Have you done anything to the front axle that could have radically altered the caster angles?

3. Have you checked to see that toe-in is set to 1/8"?

4. Check the front brakes for excessive drag. (Not bloodly likely, but I'm grasping at straws now)

I suspect it it the caster since I am at @ 6" of lift I am looking for some adjustable upper and lower control arms as we speak

1 yes it is unlocked and in nuetral and in park

2 Just a lift 4.5 springs 1.75 spacers and drop brackets super flex upper and lowers not adjustable.
3 Toe is at 1/8"
4 no excessive drag.

5 it tows perfect on the paved road just issues in the dirt

Don't flat tow with lockers.

Everything I read and check made me believe it was ok. I have ecteds, had them turned off so they are basically limited slips. About 1/2way to johnson valley last year I noticed a whine coming from the XJ. Tranny in park, T-case in N, Lockers off.

Result was a chewed up ring gear.

If I flat tow again I will pull the front drive shaft.

Back