• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj towing problem

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj with a 5.5 Re short arm lift and when i tow it on dirt roads and turn the wheels will not track I have to get out and turn the steering wheel..When i had a RE 4.5 kit on it I had no problems anyone have the same problem or any ideas?

I have a 99 xj with a 5.5 Re short arm lift and when i tow it on dirt roads and turn the wheels will not track I have to get out and turn the steering wheel..When i had a RE 4.5 kit on it I had no problems anyone have the same problem or any ideas?

A couple Questions so that I may try and help you if I can.

'99 XJ 5.5" RE Short Arm Lift.
(I run at about 5 to 5.5"s of Lift myself with my Short Arm Bastard Lift.)

While turning the Front Wheels "will not track" ???
The XJ goes straight or the Steering Wheel won't turn? I'm lost here. Help me out.

"I have to get out and turn the steering wheel" Then what happens?

I've seen it on a few jeeps where the geometry is off, wheel's will turn hard to one side and it won't track properly. Several guys use a heavy bungee strap to hold the steering wheel from spinning. It still allows the wheels to turn a bit but, not spin to full lock.

If you don't already have them, drop brackets would likely help.

how much weight, maybe too much weight in the rear causing the front to get light, and not put down enough traction?

Um no... That is how you flat tow. It even mentions it in the manual.

Sure driveshafts out would be a better piece of mind, but its not 100% necessary.

That I didn't know...
I thought it was always the best thing to take the DS's out for flat tow or two wheel tow.
and after having my transfer case apart a bunch of times for worn/broken components I would have though that would be what the manual said, but I have never read that part.
oh well, Sorry to drag off topic..

You dont have to. Just transfer case in neutral and tranny in park.

x3 and Steering Wheel unlocked with the Key in the No Power Position.

Here are a couple of recent Posts on this Towing Thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004887&highlight=Towing

According to my 1992 Cherokee owner's manual the correct proceedure for towing is:

Selec-Trac transfer case:

!) Shift transmission into N neutral
2) Shift transfer case into N neutral
Note: The full time light will stay on
3) Shift trnsmission into D drive and make sure there is no vehicle movement
4) Turn ignition key to the unlocked OFF position
5) Shift transmission into park

Command-Trac transfer case:

1) Shift transfer case to 2H and check that the PART TIME light goes out
2) Drive vehicle 10 ft rearward and then 10 ft forward to make sure axle is disengaged
3) Shift transmission into N neutral
4) Turn off the engine with the ignition key in the unlocked off position
5) Shift transfer case lever from 2H to N neutral position
6) Shift manual transmission into gear or automatic transmission into P park

Hope this helps

Important: this is what I do and what you do is of your own choosing.

I make sure that the XJ's Transfer Case I am going to tow is put in Neutral and the Steering Wheel is unlocked in the Off Position and free to turn when Flat Towing and using a Tow Hitch Mounted to the Front Bumper and/or Frame of the XJ. I use Safety chains crisscrossed when towing an XJ. If the Coupler of the Tow Hitch comes loose from the Towing Vehicle and the Chains are crisscrossed the XJ should track behind the Tow Vehicle straight instead of side to side IMHO.

When I use a Dolly, the steering Wheel is not as important. I make sure the Towed XJ's Transfer Case is in Neutral Position so the Wheels will turn freely.

This is how I do it anyway.

Edit: I now see desertrandy answered your Question. Do not do it my way.... Do it by his Post, the "Jeep Manual" way.

Hope this helps.

Back