• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf Spring Bushing recos?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have sifted through several threads and it looks like RE uses a "proprietary" sized eye for their rear leaf springs. Well mine are more on their way out. They "pop" and "click" almost everytime I turn left or right due to body roll. I have inspected them and basically there is zero rubber left and more or less a metal crush sleeve inside the remnant of a bushing which is inside the eye at the shackle end. I even feel it when I brake or accelerate, like the body is "catching up" with the axles...there is hesitation, if that makes sense.

I would like to use poly bushing like daystar or energy for the simple fact of longevity and I have seen some of the polys designed to be used with a greaseable shackle bolt. I know it will give a rougher ride but I would rather sacrifice a bit of ride versus longevity for less maintenance.

Any suggestions on where to look or what others have used? I went to energysuspension.com and they have generics/universals but I have no idea what size I would use for my 4.5 RE springs.

TIA

Have you tried measuring the ones you have on your Leaf Springs and trying to match them against what you have seen online?

You may wish to call a Rubicon Express Person and ask them the sizes.

Phone Toll-Free 877.367.7824

Or, send them your Questions by their Online Form: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Contact/

The following Ad states their RE1495 Bushing Set is supposed to be Poly, however, I have my doubts as I believe that Set comes as Rubber Bushings.

Anyway, here is the Ad that states they come in Poly:

Rubicon 4.5" Leaf Spring Replacement Bushing Set

RE1495

$71.95

Application: Replacement bushing set for two Rubicon 4.5" Extreme-Duty leaf springs.
Specs: Polyurethane spring bushing kit includes sleeves.

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/catal...cts_id=3700&osCsid=ctgv9g95g13nv7sc9frelkdug5

Hope this helps.

RE1495.jpg

I bought the rubber Rubicon bushings, I believe they were also $71 or so. Actually I think when I got the bill it was in the high $60's so lower than they quoted me originally.

I have Rusty's leaf springs from August 2007 and they use the same bushing size as RE (rumor is they got their leafs from the same place back then......although I think Rusty's uses different bushings now-adays)

I am in the process of replacing the bushings right now. I have all of the bushings out but do not have the 4 large outer sleeves out of the spring eyes.....yet...

Back